Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker upgrade in 02 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door speaker upgrade in 02 T/A

So, I'm looking to upgrade my door speakers to some CDT CL-61CV's from kee audio.

I replaced the sails not long ago and was pretty straight forward for my first time ever replacing car speakers. Is there anything I should know? the stocks are coaxial, as I've read, with separate tweeters, the new speakers are component and have the hardware needed to mount them coaxially.

So, will the new tweeter go in place of stock or will it need modification? and I'm just curious about the wiring part as well, with the sails I just cut off the stock harness and soldered them to the new speakers, as directed on a write up on here.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The stock Monsoon speakers are not coaxial, they're components. Camaros have the component tweeter mounted coaxially (i.e. in the center of the speaker) but they aren't coaxial speakers. Firebirds have the tweeter mounted in a separate location.

The CDT component speakers are designed to allow the tweeter to be mounted in the center on a threaded mount or separately like normal components. For your Firebird, the tweeter will mount in the stock location above the mid.

The wiring will be similar to what you did with the sail panels - a pair of wires for the tweeter and another pair for the mid.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man, you seem to always be spot on when it comes to audio and other things, I didn't know they were components.

I'll order these bad boys here soon!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the front speaker in my 99TA 10 speaker setup. Only one was blown and the other actually performed well. So It was good to install 1 new and hear a good comparision. Heres what I found. 4ohm $40 pioneers horrible. 2ohm $100 infinitys ,sad and didnt even outperform the stock.So I ended up going down to walmart to buy some fillers till I saved up $400-$500 to do a whole swap from scratch. Purchased the $24 4ohm vr3 coaxial , felt embarased just holding them at the check out. Installed them to my surprise beat the $100 infinitys at 2 ohms. The 4ohm vr3 had about a 1-2 click volume loss vs infinity 3 and the pioneer 5-6 ,better bass than the infinitys. The clarity and very high volume is distorted by the stereo and amp but the voices are alot more clear, not limited by the speakers anymore.I kept the stock tweeters. Put the covers over them saved right around $80 vs the infinitys.The amp doesnt heat up due to the 4ohms and is concidered safe from what has been posted on this forum.I will probably have a cult of haters for saying $24 wallyworld vr3 slammed infinitys, but $24 and a easy return policy check them out for yourself.