Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HIGH Beams stuck...do I need to REPLACE whole switch assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH Beams stuck...do I need to REPLACE whole switch assembly.

I cannot change from low bean to high beam and want to know if I need to buy the whole turn signal assembly. I want to be sure if I install the left lever on the steering wheels it will be solved. Does not click at all.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way the turn signal assembly has to come out
Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

i have the same problem on my 99 SS I would love to know the solution to this problem.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

The actual dimmer switch for the lights is located on the column next to the ignition switch. It might have just moved because the way the screw holes are there is room to move the switch up and down. http://www.shbox.com/1/ignition_switch.jpg here is a pic that shows the switch you do not have to remove the turn signal lever
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had the same problem for a long time. My actuator rod is not moving far enough to activate the switch. If I manually push the switch, the brights turn on/off OK.

I don't know if the rod is bent and thus has been shortened, or if somehow the switch mechanism moved further away for some reason. It seemed like it was going to be easier to loosen the switch on the column and move it closer to the rod, than to move the rod closer to the switch. I couldn't get any tools in there to loosen the switch, so I've just put up with it.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Where do you manually push in the switch at?
thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Take off the kick panel below the steering column. While looking at the bottom of the column, repeatedly move the bright lever in the operating motion. Find the actuator rod which is moving in tandem with the bright lever. The switch will be at the end of this rod.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 did the same thing for years, finally I just put a Black wire tie around the steering column going across the switch and pulled it tight and it worked. Mine was just a little loose, just enough to not let the switch operate. A few months back I replaced the steering wheel and at that time I had the column out so I just adjusted the switch a little. BUT the wire tie was easy and it worked. You really could not see it unless you stuck your head in there to look. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I just replaced the ignition switch and now my brights are on all the time because the high beam switch moved while I was installing the ignition switch. GM really screwed us on this one, both of these switches are in a really tight spot. To get the column to lower enough, you have to take the two bolts out of the column support, then 3 more bolts down by the firewall. Even then it's still pretty hard to get your hands up by the switch.

Quick Reply: HIGH Beams stuck...do I need to REPLACE whole switch assembly.