Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Some sort of electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some sort of electrical problem

I put a new Pioneer head unit in and Polk speakers with 10in Polk subs with an alpine 600w alpine amp. When i installed it everything was working fine until my stock amp quit on me. So i hard wired the speakers up to the head unit. Everything was fine until about a week ago. Now everytime i press a button to lock the car or roll down the windows my subs pop. It also happens if i put my foot on the brake and the volume is all the way down. Other thing i noticed is if the volume is all the way down you can hear sounds coming from the subs still not music but distortion.

I never touched any of the other electronics in the dash and made sure that the connections were fine. The only thing that i think it could be is that when i wired my amp up i ran the wires underneath the carpet with all of the other stock wires.

Please help im almost thinking about rewiring the entire car.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Try to isolate the issue. Disconnect a wire at a time from the amp until you no longer have the issue, if all you are left with is your speaker wire, power and ground, temporarily run a new of each one at a time until it stops. Use the disconnected cables to help track down the issue. If you can't find any problem with the amp then move to the head unit and follow the same procedures. Hope this helps. Trouble shooting can be a PITA but you should be able to track it down.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Hey man thanks for the advice ill ill start doing that when i get off of work. Would it help to have a voltage meter to help track it down. Meaning like unplugging the speakers and measuring the voltage for each speaker wire would you think that would be a good way to track it?