Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Racing Switch for house?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Switch for house?? Help!

Im re-doing my bathroom in my house and instead of a traditional light switch i was woindering if i could use a switch like this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/racing-cove...lterid=c1643j7

But i was wondering if the voltage or load/service rating is too small to power the lighjts in my bathroom. i dont know to much about house electronics so cut me some slack haha. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

it could be done but i doubt its a good idea just wiring it in place of a normal light switch. the voltage rating on the racing toggle switch is probably ok but it might not be able to handle the current drawn by the lights...not sure what lights you have. you have 110-120 volts and i cant say how many amps going thru that circuit. i wouldnt risk it, could be dangerous if you burnt the switch up.
if you had a relay setup it might work. as long as its a relay rated to around 20 amps/120 volts.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Okay thanks. sounds smart to stay clear of it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Those 12 volt car switches won't handle it.

Go to an electronics parts store (not Radio Shack, go to a real electronics parts store like You-Do-It Electronics) and you will find similar looking switches. Look at their power and wattage ratings. You should find one that can handle household lights. It all depends on how much you are going to connect to it. You can often talk to the people that work there and they can help you out.

An alternative is to get a themed light switch plate or cover instead of a plain white one and use a standard household switch.

Also, depending on where you use the switch and the extent of your bathroom remodel, if it has to be inspected, it probably won't pass.