Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer and box question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
eul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer and box question

Hey guys I have a dilemma. I have two 12'' L7 Kickers and a 4000 watt amp. I want to put them in my 94 firebird formula, but have been told it would be a waste and that I wouldn't be able to push them to their full potential. My friend has said this, and that If i tried pushing them i'd possibly blow my back window or blow the subs literally out of the screws. He's suggesting downgrading to some smaller kickers (circle, not sure what kind). Now, he works in an audio shop and has a box for 2 12'' circle subs for an Fbody that fit perfectly in my car. He said we could possibly just cut the circles into squares, but that the particular box probably wouldn't sound good with l7s in them. Any suggestions as where to get a box for 2 square 12'' subs? Any suggestions as to what to do? Is he bullshitting me about blowing them out or shattering my glass. Are two l7s in my car overkill? Would I even be able to push them ? Keep in mind the music i'd be playing is VERY bass heavy (dubstep) example --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnW52XGLLy8

thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

The 12" Kicker L7 needs .88 - 2.00 cu ft of air in a sealed enclosure and while kicker doesn't post the displacement it is close to about .12 so at minimum you are going to need a box that has 1.0 Cu Ft of air. I carry the same kind of enclosure that he is talking about but it is by a company called Audio Enhancers and is the biggest of it's kind, it's capacity per sub is 1.5 cu ft. I sell them un cut meaning you don't have to work around any previous holes in the enclosure and can make it perfectly fit your subs. Let me know if you are interested.

PS If your amp can keep up with them, you have some great speakers, run what have.

PSS check out Rebel Sonix, they have a great sound.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 PM
eul

Could you link me to the sub box? Also what would you suggest... I kinda wanna keep the L7s, but the box I saw on subthump is 225 + 20 bux shipping... thats pretty damn steep for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM
FormerVendor

I'll admit the Subthump boxes are top notch, but their biggest box is only 1.1 Cu Ft. It will work but won't give the sub as much as it wants. Here is a link to the Audio Enhancer's box on my site.
https://www.sparksai.com/ProductDeta...Code=93NCT300C
It is a bit easier on the pocket book at $149 shipped.

One thing to note with this box is that you will lose the t-top storage area.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
eul

Yea that's fine, I dont use the storage much anyways. Looks like a good box.. So theres no cutouts on this one?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hmmmmmm

I like this version better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPpUFBVSyWs

1 you lock the target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do what you can afford dude! a guy i work with has a cheapo walmart setup in his car and it thumps pretty good!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eul
Yea that's fine, I dont use the storage much anyways. Looks like a good box.. So theres no cutouts on this one?
Correct, you make your own holes in it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend IS bullshitting you about blowing out the glass. Don't worry at all about that part. Don't worry about the screws coming out the box either. What 4000 watt amp do you have?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
eul

http://www.lanzar.com/sucategorylist...eries=Viberant

the very last one on the page
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
eul

Sparks, so this http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/93nct300c.htm will surely fit in my 94 firebird formula? If so I will be purchasing it today.

Also - I was planning on putting a ground from the amp directly into the car, right behind the seats. Is this a good idea, or is the gas tank located there?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Couple things
1. You won't blow your window, probably never will.
2. Subs won't push themselves out of the screws either, never seen this happen with a proper install.
3. I'm pretty sure that amp does not do its rated output, meaning it isn't a true 4kw going to the subs. Only way to tell is to clamp it and see.
4. Your friend sounds like an idiot that work at most of the local shops, no offense.

Now, two L7's aren't overkill, just gonna be hard to make a box big enough for them if you want ported. I have two round 12's in a ported with 1.5 each chamber but it takes up every bit of room in the hatch and I had a shop build it.
And you always ground the amp on bare metal or pre-existing ground location. Don't drill a spot behind the seats as the gas tank is right underneath it. I grounded mine on the drivers side under the hatch panel.
And that box will work and it'll be a clean sound since its sealed, as opposed to a ported box which will be louder but not as 'punchy' as sealed. Depends what your going for really.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Teching In

as for the ae box get it dude i work at world hi fi in rome ga. and i am way more impressed with the ae box rather than the probox as of right now i have 2 memphis pr 10s in a custom ae mustang box laying on my back hatch that actually hit harder than the 2 alpine type r 12s i had in the pro box on 1200 true watts i was verry impressed on how the tens sounded gic=ven the small airspace and low power im pushing to them.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eul
Sparks, so this http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/93nct300c.htm will surely fit in my 94 firebird formula? If so I will be purchasing it today.

Also - I was planning on putting a ground from the amp directly into the car, right behind the seats. Is this a good idea, or is the gas tank located there?
Yep that box fits. Audio Enhancers makes a great product, I think you will be very pleased with it.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
eul

Alright then, placing my order now.

I'm planning on upgrading my amplifier soon too, any suggestions to get these 2 badboys bumpin'?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Thank you for the order.

For powering your subs you can go a few directions, to do them justice you want to push about 750w to each one. That means finding an amp that can do 1500w RMS. This RE Audio amp would be a great fit without breaking the bank.
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/xt...%20digital.htm
RE Audio amps are made by their parent company US AMPS and are some fantastic peices of equipment

The other way is to find an amp that is at least more powerful than what you are running now. If you send me the fuse sizes on the amp we can at least try and figure out what the max it can output is and go from there.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

I ran 2 L7 12s for a long time and I loved them. I was using a Rockford 1000bd that actually put out 1500 RMS. They are great subs and no you will not blow your back window. I upgraded to a single L7 15 and it would flex the back window but never broke it
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

US Amps are nice, I have one and had no issues with it ever in the year or two I've had it. Make sure you have the wiring and all to back up the 1500w though or you'll be killing your electrical system. Could probably get away with a decent battery and the Big 3 though.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Ya definetly not correct.... Does this answer your question... Its a subthump with 1.0cu/ft and 1lb of Polyfill each side. Im running a HiFonics Brutus 1500x1 RMS, it peaks at 2361watts and im using approx 800 per sub and driving with factory head unit but still have enough to drop a note and make your ears have pressure and hear me a long ways away.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Plus to be able to flex a window you will need lots of air moving and a positive pressure inside the cabin with the windows up. But that is also in a perfect world with an air tight car. Look on youtube at subs blowing windows, You will notice none are a "standard" setup.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Plus to be able to flex a window you will need lots of air moving and a positive pressure inside the cabin with the windows up. But that is also in a perfect world with an air tight car. Look on youtube at subs blowing windows, You will notice none are a "standard" setup.
You can easily flex the hatch windows and it's actually easier to do with the windows down. Two 12's in the correct box should get some flex from the hatch if that's what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer and box question