Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My stereo is dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My stereo is dying

I have a 99 Z28 with the factory monsoon system and 12 disc changer. I have had a few blown speakers in the rear for a while now. All of the sudden I am unable to get much sound out of the fronts at all. So at this point I can't even listen to it. I have done performance mods to the car but the stereo and interior are completely original and I'm pretty certain that I don't have a wiring problem originating from something that was done to the car. Is this a common problem, and if so what is the likely culprit?

I am considering options at this point because I want to keep the car for the foreseeable future. I have never been very happy with the factory stereo and if I am going to spend money on it I want it to at least sound better than it did originally. My first thought was to purchase the premium speaker system from Kee Audio. But I would be disappointed if I did this and went through the effort to install everything only to find out there was a problem with the amp or head unit. So perhaps I should just pull everything out and replace the entire system.

Any feedback would be appreciated.