Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone using factory headunit with aftermarket sub and amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using factory headunit with aftermarket sub and amp?

if so how are you doing it and how is the quality

i really don't like how the single din head units look in TA's but i want a good system with the factory head unit
Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive done it in other GM vehicles. i tapped a line level adapter into the rear speaker lines and ran the RCA's to the amp . then wired up my amp and sub box like normal. it worked great. people were shocked that it was a stock system with just a 10 inch bandpass box.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
ive done it in other GM vehicles. i tapped a line level adapter into the rear speaker lines and ran the RCA's to the amp . then wired up my amp and sub box like normal. it worked great. people were shocked that it was a stock system with just a 10 inch bandpass box.
ok sweet so the two wires that come off the adapter just get quick spliced in the rear speaker lines pretty much?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running mine like this now, it sounds alright. Now this could be bc I had the subs in a 3.5cu/ft ported box before hand and now there in a 1.0cu/ft sealed. But I used a line converter on mine from the rear speakers and the factory EQ controls the amount of bass but limits how much adjustability I have because then I make the regular speakers distort. But I did it bc affording a 190$ bezel and 600$ for a touchscreen wasnt in my budget at the time, especially since I did the AUX input mod. But it still sounds good with plenty of bass just cant enjoy the full capability of the amp and subs.