Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Buying off Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying off Ebay

Whatsup with ebay subwoofers? I am looking at getting some kicker l7 10' subs and they are much cheaper on there but I am just worried they are refurbrished but they say they are new. How can they be so much cheaper than from anywhere else?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

There are a couple of different reasons why. Kicker has had several itterations of the L7's so when you see S10L72 that could be the newer 08S10L72 or the older 06S10L72 or something older entirely. Also a lot of companies like Kicker do not authorize any eBay sales so when you buy from eBay you have no warranty. The other part is you have no idea where they come from. They could be refurbished or they could be chinese knockoffs (yes this happens) Long story short, by from authorized dealers that work with US distributors to make sure you are buying the product you want. Shoot me a PM on what you are looking at and I will see if there is something we can do to match or at least come close to their price. I am authorized to sell kicker products and everything I sell comes with the full manufacturer's warranty.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I buy many things off of Ebay and have never has any problems. As far as the warrenty goes??????? it depends on who you purchase from check their feedback score and go from there. Let's see i bought my Radio, Amp, Speakers off Ebay and I am happy.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea just do some research about the seller and carefully read the item description and the seller's policy. don't buy from someone who you feel hesitant about. i've bought many electronics off of ebay... amps, radios, speakers and have been very satisfied. and don't be afraid to ask the seller any question you may have.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when your looking for something click the "new" button to the left. That will help knock down the results. + you won't end up clicking on the refurbished stuff.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just gotta be a smart eBay shopper. Hav enever had any problems with my purchases, AND have saved a ton of $$$. Got all my MB Quart speakers off of eBay. In the stores, would have paid +$1200. On eBay, paid about half that...including shipping!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

You can find lots of good stuff on Ebay, and refurbished isn't always bad either, refurbished could mean it was used once then returned and there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. Just check feedback, make sure to look over the listing to make sure it's legit and you'll be fine.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Alot of the stuff on eBay is also what is considered "gray market". This means they can get it but they are not selling the stuff for what they are supposed to or...MAP: minimum advertised price. They sell for maybe $10.00-$20.00 over what they paid for it in some cases so that they can have the lowest price and try and make up for the lower price in volume. If something goes wrong with it you also won't be able to return it 99% of the time.
I am also authorized to carry, install and warranty everything I sell.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

99% of the Time ????? That is just Not True!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1121
99% of the Time ????? That is just Not True!
I think he was more making the point that returns can be up to how a vendor feels that day. They have already received their feedback from you and paypal does not offer recourse for returns so for ebay retailers there is little reason for them to offer things like returns, and if they don't honor them, you are unlikely to hear about it. Bottom line reguardless is that yes you can buy cheap stuff on ebay, but give your forum sponsors a chance to compete we might surprise you. If we can't match a price we can at least back everything with customer service and as community sponosr we have ties here that mean you get our best, or we get the communitie's worst. It is always in a sponsor's best interest to treat you like gold.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

I give major props to Sparks AI. He is very knowledgable and helpful. He has earned my business by far and works hard to match or beat prices. I feel very confident in anything he has said.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

I agree 100%, to give you guy's a chance. I hear many Great things about the Sponsers here and think you guy's do a good job at helping all of us here in the community. But...... there is No need to Lie.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

OMG somebody please close this
Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

I agree 100%, to give you guy's a chance. I hear many Great things about the Sponsers here and think you guy's do a good job at helping all of us here in the community. But...... there is No need to Lie.
Most gray market retailers weren't even authorized to sell that item in the first place, especially at that price. It happens all the time with not just car audio but a bunch with parts...cams, headers, etc. You should see the complaints from vendors in the private forums section about it.
I am not saying all good deals on eBay are gray market, I'm saying that some of those retailers are and if you do get stuck buying from one of them you will have problems with a return if you have a problem with the merchandise because they are not going to accept back something they can't return to the wholesaler or vendor they bought it from. It's that simple.

I would also appreciate not being called a liar. I don't make this stuff up. I've seen it happen. With some eBay sellers it's the equivelant of buying out of the trunk of a car.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

my thing is 99% ..... hmmmmm

I have bought more than 100 items off of Ebay and I have never had a problem. be careful what you put in Print because you can never take it back...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

All I have to say is that I have bought from Ian(Kee Audio) and he's a nice guy. He even upgraded my stealth box to fiberglass for free. Sparks is also a great company. I didn't intend on either company being called liars and don't want anyone else to get confused and not buy from them. If you want to argue, pm them. Until then just stop calling names.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

my thing is 99% ..... hmmmmm

I have bought more than 100 items off of Ebay and I have never had a problem. be careful what you put in Print because you can never take it back...
You bought 100 items from gray market sellers and returned them with no problems? That's what I'm refering to specifically...gray market sellers...not eBay sellers as a whole. There is a HUGE difference. I buy stuff from eBay as well. So do millions of people. I am strictly talking about retailers who sell stuff they are not authorized to sell...that is a gray market dealer. It's not out of the back of a truck but it's not something they can take back to a supplier if something goes wrong with it either. Which is why you would have an issue returning it if something did happen. And yes....99% of gray market dealers will NOT take back an item you bought from them because they cannot return it or replace it with another one.
Again...I am not talking about ALL eBay sellers.
The vast majority of eBay sellers are fine to buy from. It's easy to check the feedback.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

boy you just don't know when to quit do you?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

boy you just don't know when to quit do you?
WTF!!! Drop it.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People that sell products on Ebay don't have to pay for advertising and a store so they can sell items for a lower price. I have bought a lot of electronics & computer parts on Ebay and always got top notch products. Before I buy though I make sure the item comes with a guarantee and the seller accepts returns, if not I don't buy from them. Anytime I had to return a defective item I have always received a full refund and got good customer service.

As a matter of fact I started selling the W-Body parts I make on Ebay before I got my own website and I never had any problems. It seems to me the vendors here condone Ebay just to generate more sales for themselves. If you are careful you can find great deals on good products on Ebay. Plus Paypal will refund your money if the seller misrepresents the item, so your purchases are protected.