Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Monsoon Speaker Replacement (Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon Speaker Replacement (Aftermarket)

I'm sorry, but I've read the sticky's. I've got a couple blown Monsoon speakers and want to replace all of them with a good aftermarket company.

Can someone recommend a good sponsor with a complete package. I want the best sounding system, with no hassle.

Thanks WHPLASH
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

We have two sponsors selling replacement speaker kits for Monsoon systems... Kee Audio (www.keeaudio.com) and SparksAI (https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...rksai-com.html).
Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kee Audio for the win!!!! Got my speakers in two days!!!! Phone and e-mail support is above that of any company!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a Camaro you'll want to check out one of my packages for stock mounting options. Otherwise you'll be looking for a place to mount a seperate tweeter somewhere on your door.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, I'll definitley look into it.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I need one sub for Firebird

if you have any that arent blown
it needs to be the 6.5" dual voice coil 4/4ohm
with 4 wire
Old 10-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

my car is supposed to have the monsoon system but all the speakers were replaced with powerbass speakers.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 AM

New here, but I've been reading about Monsoon speaker issues for a while. I have one blown right sail panel speaker in my '98 T/A that I needed to replace, which started me down the road to Monsoon hell...

I don't want to spend money on the stereo for now, so looking for cheap alternatives. I first read you could take a regular full-range speaker with a separately wired tweeter and use it. (Cut the tweeter wire and wire it individually to one of the two 4-ohm inputs.) So I bought JBL GTO628's ($50 for the pair) with the intent to do that.

Further research leads me to think that both sail panel inputs are filtered for mid-bass, which would make it pointless to connect up the tweeter. Does anyone know if both speaker inputs (long wire, goes to green/blue from amp and short wire, goes to red/tan from amp) have the same frequency output from the amp? Or is one output for higher freq's and the other for low?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

PLEASE read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section before asking the same old questions. It would have told you that the sail panel speakers are subs that get low pass filtered signal only. It would have also told you that the subs in Firebirds are dual voice coil - both channels on each side get identical low pass filtered signal.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Thanks, I probably did too much research of previous threads (here and other forums) and was thrown off by someone using a full-range speaker in the sail panel by cutting the wires to tweeter and connecting it to one of the two inputs. Won't work.

I used Pyle PLPW6D speakers to replace the sail panel speakers, $40 for the pair. They're dual 4 ohm voice coil, 6.5" subwoofers and were a direct fit, even the screw holes lined up. (I peeled off the seal from the front edge and glued it onto the back side since they mount from the outside of the speaker hole.)

As for sound, not that great. They seem to put out a deeper bass, but kind of muffled and not as punchy as stock. I will get by with them until I upgrade the HU and all the speakers.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Interesting... I've seen several people ask about the Pyle subs as factory replacements but I think you're the first who's ever tried it (or at least admitted doing so). That's mostly because the common response when asked is that "Pyle" is just a short form of "pile of crap". I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted but it's nice to know that the prevailing opinion wasn't wrong.

A new head unit will make a world of difference because the factory unit is a distortion machine and a $100 pair of Bazooka 6.5" DVC subs will greatly improve the bass output from your sail panels when you get the opportunity to change them out.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:09 PM

I have a 1998 Chevy Camaro SS with the Monsoon system of AM-FM Cassette with the 12 CD Trunk mounted player. My drivers side door speaker is shot. I just want to replace the drivers side door speaker, since the rest of the speakers work great. Where can I get one that will be a direct fit and will there be any tuning involved.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Teching In

So your speakers have 2 sets of terminals? Negative and positive on both sides?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

In answer to both questions... about the only place you will find a single replacement door speaker that will be a direct replacement is finding an original speaker on ebay or some other online source. GM has discontinued the speakers so they are not available from dealers. All aftermarket speakers will require a certain amount of modification to install - at the very least the connectors from the original speaker will have to be cut off and wired to the replacement.

The door speakers in a Camaro Monsoon system have four terminals because they are components that are mounted to appear like a coaxial speaker. Where a typical coaxial speaker would have only two terminals, the factory Monsoon speaker has a pair of terminals for the woofer and a separate pair of terminals for the tweeter. Each gets its own filtered audio signal on separate channel from the Monsoon amp.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a pair of Infinity speakers for my Camaro door speakers when one blew. They have a separate tweeter that I mounted on the outside of the factory speaker grille. a little bit of work but they sound pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Speaker Replacement (Aftermarket)