Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What 6.5 subs on aftermarket power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What 6.5 subs on aftermarket power?

So I've had CDT HD-6Ms and they sounded good, not crazy loud, but with great quality and sounded great. I recently upgraded my sisters setup in her Mazda 3 and came in possession of her old amp, a Kicker ZX400.1 (400w RMS @ 2 ohms/ 200w RMS @ 4 ohms) and my CDTs are pretty worn out. So I have been running without subs for a while now and I'm back to the idea of the subs. What 6.5 subs would do good in the sail panels amplified? I'm on a pretty strict budget, less than $150 for a pair, and I've been eyeballing a couple subs, the main ones being the Massive Audio Summo64, Savard Hi-Q 6.5, Skar Audio EVL-65 and the Memphis Audio PRX6D2. Are there other subs that are good contenders? I'm looking more for output while retaining my entire trunk (that includes keeping the stealth box area)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Why not use the CDT subs you have? You say they're "pretty worn out" but that's not very specific... are they just old or are they actually damaged? They can certainly handle the single channel output of the Kicker amp when split between the two of them and they won't cost you anything.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I used Elemental Design 6.5's for the rear seats. had to make a small MDF spacer, but they hit excellent.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The glue from the CDTs is coming undone, mainly around the spider, and the cone on one has came unglued from the spider. I've tried repairing them, but they just keep coming unglued.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Elemental Design subs were a great option but I think they have long been discontinued. The CDTs are still available but run a little above your budget at $180/pair. I would go with Kicker CompRT at $75 each to get the best sound with your budget. Don't buy Pyle, Boss or Skar - they're just cheap junk. The Memphis PRX6D2 is dual voice coil so you'd have to be careful how you wire them to get the correct impedance (each speaker's voice coils wired in series for 4 ohms total then wired in parallel with the other side to produce 2 ohms for the amp). I had AudioPipe in my Monsoon system and found them to be very good for the price so that might be another option to consider.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Kicker CompRT and they are surprisingly good for such a small speaker. They will not hit low, but do provide a clean punchy bass. My car is really loud inside, to the point you can't really hear low freq anyway, so these for me work better than the 12" I had before. By the way I paired these with Kicker's tiny little PXA 4 channel amp and it works well.

I looked at Skar, but I don't know anything about them. Sundown Audio seems to be the sub in a 6.5" but it seems they need an enclosure to work well. I like Kicker and have had good luck with them.