Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stealth or T-Top Box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealth or T-Top Box?

I am planning on upgrading my whole 98 TA with the total package...speakers, the sailpanel mid-subs, and a nice high quality sub. I am trying to decide if I should go with just a 10inch stealth or a 2-10 or 2-12 setup in the T-top area. I really like having the storage option but I want some bass power that you can hear and feel! But I am not the guy who needs a rediculous, over-the-top setup. Clean sound is the most important to me.

My basic goal is to have a setup that sounds great in(and out)side the car...high quality, good balance, wide range. I listen to a mix of everything so I don't want a biased (heavy or overpowering bass) sound that makes treble indiscernible.

Basically, I want it to sound like a small concert or club outside the car when I have the t-tops off if I crank it up.

My priorities are this:

1. No rattles
2. Quality, clean sound (especially when cranked)
3. Balanced sound
4. Firepower (bass that hits)

I was looking at Kee Audio's premium package for speakers but am open to suggestions. But the stealth vs t-top box I'm not sure on. I know there is pros and cons to both, like obviously the t-top setup costs more and takes up more space. Also, does anybody know the weight difference between the two setups? I plan to take the car to the track occasionaly.

If I can get away with less, I would prefer that way, but I do want the deep "hit" if I turn it up. I am thinking of going JL Audio for subs. Amps, again, I am open to...but I have considered going with an older amp (like Orion) since they seemed to have such good quality back then.

Last edited by transamman400; 10-13-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transamman400

My priorities are this:

1. No rattles
2. Quality, clean sound (especially when cranked)
3. Balanced sound
4. Firepower (bass that hits)
One stealth setup may be enough but others will say two. I have two ported in my hatch and it's likely louder then you want want, and I need to deaden the car due to all the rattles (you'll have this with any sub really).
I would recommend a sealed box with dual 10" setup, probably around 6-800w would be enough for you and it'll be a nice clean SQ setup. Research some other brands as I think, and this is my personal opinion, JL is overrated and overpriced compared to a lot of other quality brands out there. And I've never used the Kee Audio package but it does seem like a pretty good deal and if he chimes in he can help you out I'm sure.
And if you plan on taking the car to the track, you can always just pull the sub box out (if you have a place to put it). And what price range are you looking at, can help you out from there.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Launching!

I am looking to spend about $1200 on the setup, but I am not hard set to that number. I will spend more if it requires it.

EDIT: not including speakers

Last edited by transamman400; 10-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No rattles

you own an fbody... its gonna rattle but i had the jl stealthbox and it was a clean good sound. now i have the ttop box and there are more rattles but i can go bigger and better
Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

To eliminate rattles you might look to add some dynamat to the shopping cart while you are at it. If used sparigly where it is needed for rattles you can eliminate a lot of it without adding a lot of weight.

As far as your system goes a t-top style enclosure will acctually save you money over two stealth enclosures. We carry both the Audio enhancers and the Q-logic T-Top style sub enclosures. Both sound great, the q-logic costs a bit more but has a great overal OEM look to it. You can even choose the color to match your interior.

For your speakers our Stage 2.5 system will work great for what you are looking to do. This system combines the brand new MTX Thunder Axe components with the Soundstream Pro series mid-bass drivers for a fantastic sound.

For an amp I just picked up Massive Audio and will be getting some new amps sku'd up tomorrow. For your setup one that you might look at is the NX5 by Massive. This is one of their Nano amp which will run 4 channels at 4 Ohms at 120w RMS each and an additional sub channel at 1Ohm at 800w RMS. These amps are CEA-2006 certified as well which means that is true wattage not what some kid in a dark room with a dart board came up with. The other thing that makes these amps stand out is their size. When they say Nano they mean it. This amp rings in at only 2.1"H x 5"W x 15"L When you think about it, that is fantastic. It means more trunk space for you.

These are just a few quick ideas. Shoot me a Pm and we can dive more into what you are looking for exactly and I can build out a package that will meet all of your needs for a great price.