Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver Window Just fell apart, lol...

Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver Window Just fell apart, lol...

Ok, so yea i get in my car and shut the door and the window just drops to the bottom with a loud clunk. Not even kidding. I really hate our window setup and I have just takin it in to get it replaced and I am tired of it. So After a little investigation this is what happened. The spring popped off its slot and flew off..the gear thingy came off the motor and all the rollers came off their track...well, two of them. Then, the little nut that sits in the center of the X where the spring attaches also came off. Just a total Cluster F$@#. I was able to get the window back up (Barely) by putting that nut back in the middle of the X and into its slot on the door, placing the gear back to the motor and gently rolling it up. Even though I am going to take it in to get it fixed still, can anyone tell me how the hell they get that spring coiled up and put on??!! I swear its gotta be impossible.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Search, there are some threads on this somewhere....

BTW - This problem is not due to the door design. It was due to a bad job on a motor replacement. Your motor came loose, which holds the regulator in check. When that happened, the regulator unsprung. Lots of people bolt replacement motors on, but I prefer rivets so this kind of thing doesn't happen.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I appreciate the reply. The motor was replaced and believe it or not it was done at a GM dealer! And when I reached into the door and checked the motor, it was rock sturdy. Im gonna take it in to a guy who deals with Camaros a lot just cuz I really hate window motors (My hands are all cut up) but the question on my mind is just how the hell they coil that spring and get it on.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A lot of times the dealers don't follow all of GM's proceeding. I loath instances where I have to take my car to a "mechanic" and aspire to have my own lift some day soon!

Can you tell if your motor was bolted or riveted? If the window fell, the regulator teeth MUST have disengaged from the motor's gear. (The spring only gives help to the motor.) If the motor is on solid/straight, something must have broken or bent on the regulator to allow the gear teeth to un-mesh.

Search this Thread