Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

94 Firebird TA wont start and how do i program new keyfob

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 94 Firebird TA wont start and how do i program new keyfob

So a buddy of mine owns a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and is getting ready to sell it so he asked me if i could help him uninstall the after-market alarm in his his car and put it back on the original key-less entry system. He had long ago ago lost his original key-fob so he has purchased a new one from GM and i have gutted out the code alarm which was a remote start system and i have also removed the "ignition interrupter" that was mounted under the dash. I am almost positive i am calling it the wrong name but that is basically what it looked like to me hence the term. It was one of those cheap little add ons used car lots used to install in their cars and you need this "key " to be inserted into its receiver in order to start the car. Anyways so now that i have removed all this extra stuff i have been able to reconnect the starter wire and the various others that the alarm(s) and been tied into and i believe i have it back to stock condition but now the security light is blinking and the car wont start. Also GM is saying that we have to tow the vehicle to them so that they can program the new remote and i am wondering if there is a way around having to take it to them. Really hoping to find some easy solutions to my little problem here and any help at all will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a vats issue to me
Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep, sure is. You disconnected too many wires. The remote start would have required a VATS bypass so that it would start without the key in the ignition. With the bypass disconnected but the ignition cylinder contacts not reconnected, VATS prevents the car from starting. You'll have to reinstall the VATS bypass.

Programming the remote is a do-it-yourself job with the steps listed in the owner's manual and posted here. Then you should find a new dealer.

Quick Reply: 94 Firebird TA wont start and how do i program new keyfob