Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Stereo Experts....non Camaro/Firebird question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Stereo Experts....non Camaro/Firebird question

We bought my father in law a Boss Audio BASS600 low profile powered sub for Christmas. Don't flame me for the brand, I picked it out because of it's size and supposed 400 rms power (more like 100). Bought brand new off Amazon.com and has some sort of warranty. It got really good reviews with alot of feedback.

A little background...
Truck is a 2007 GMC 2500HD Classic crew cab Dmax with the Bose system
My father in law is a mechanic so I'm 99% sure it's installed properly. He's very knowledgeable about car electrical systems, but not about car stereos.
I actually adjusted everything after it was installed, and had to turn the gain up quite a bit to even hear any sound out of it (thought it was just underpowered). He tapped into the door speakers for the input and ran 8 gauge from the battery side of the underhood fuse panel and also ran 8 gauge for the ground. The battery has a regular battery cable ran to the fuse box underhood, which is where he tied in. In theory, it should be no different than being directly on the battery. And, I am no car audio expert...I installed my stuff, but by no means knowledgeable.

He's noticed it making a noise, sounds like the speaker is fluttering. He described it as sounding like a diesel truck passing him going down the road. I doesn't do it when you first turn it on, but will do it both with the truck running and off with the radio on. I haven't heard it in person yet, only on the phone, but I did hear it. Sounds like a flutter or a fast pulse, or a really low bass note. He says it doesn't do it all the time, it comes and goes. It also seems to have something to do with first turning it on. It won't do it at first, almost like it has something to do with heat or something being discharged overnight. Any ideas? Is the speaker screwed, the wiring screwed, or did I just go el cheapo and buy a crappy speaker?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like he wired it correctly, just possibly a bad unit or perhaps its picking up interference from inside the truck somewhere.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.....I've been thinking about it for a little bit and I've got a theory. My 95 Z28 had the factory bose, and it was a pain to wire anything even as simple as an aftermarket headunit due to the bose signal. Is it possible that the factory amp has a crossover to block out low notes to the doors, causing hardly any volume? I'm almost sure that's got something to do with it, just unsure if the fluttering is caused by that too.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Absolutely. Bose systems are a complete pain in the *** to work around.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the ground, also, see if you can get a signal that isn't filtered by a cross over.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

He's supposed to be re-wiring it this week. The truck has a factory sub we just found out (has no ***), he's gonna tap the wire from it for his signal. I'll update when I hear something.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok, embarrased to say that the speaker levels werent right. Now they are and it sounds good. Also, for future reference, these trucks have a factory sub under the front console. If you tap the input wires there (it'll be 4, dual voice coil sub) you get a true sub sound. The door speakers do block out all the bass. Thanks for the help!