Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Air bag light

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Default Air bag light

Will it be on if I decide to remove my bags? If so how to turn it off??
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you remove the bag, the light will come on.. and will never go off.. you can remove the wheel and the yellow harness that it plugs into needs to be jumped with a resistor.. i think its a 1/4watt 40 ohm.. but i have to check... ive got pics somewhere of doing it too...

oh... same goes for the pass bag...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

K thanks for the reply....so when the resistor is installed the light goes off? Is that correct. I'm still weighing the pro's and cons of doing this. Seems like a good way to get rid of some #'s and I always were my seatbelt anyway. If I was to hit something it would save the dash gettin blowed up.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
K thanks for the reply....so when the resistor is installed the light goes off? Is that correct. I'm still weighing the pro's and cons of doing this. Seems like a good way to get rid of some #'s and I always were my seatbelt anyway. If I was to hit something it would save the dash gettin blowed up.
yeah but it wouldnt save your or your passengers head from gettin blowed up
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

ive taken them out before and the resistors work fine.. all you have to do is check resistance of the airbag side when you disconnect it.. then match that resistance with your own resistors on the steering wheel side.. should be 40ohm give or take... the passenger airbag will crack the dash and break the windshield too... nearly every one ive seen deployed, it broke the top of the windshield.. i wouldnt take them out just for weight if your a DD... track only definitely..
Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
ive taken them out before and the resistors work fine.. all you have to do is check resistance of the airbag side when you disconnect it.. then match that resistance with your own resistors on the steering wheel side.. should be 40ohm give or take... the passenger airbag will crack the dash and break the windshield too... nearly every one ive seen deployed, it broke the top of the windshield.. i wouldnt take them out just for weight if your a DD... track only definitely..
Your theory is sound but the idea of putting a multimeter on an airbag scares the crap out of me.

since your airbag is set off by a voltage spike, and a multimeter measure resistance by introducing a voltage to one side and measures the resistance on that voltage.

the risk of setting that bad boy off bugs me, i know it only takes about 9v to set one off so ya
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBearJew
Your theory is sound but the idea of putting a multimeter on an airbag scares the crap out of me.

since your airbag is set off by a voltage spike, and a multimeter measure resistance by introducing a voltage to one side and measures the resistance on that voltage.

the risk of setting that bad boy off bugs me, i know it only takes about 9v to set one off so ya
ive done it... but you dont have to... just do the 40ohm resistor.. it will work fine...
Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what if the airbag light is flashing when I turn my car on? I dug into my steering wheel a month ago and everything was put back together perfect and it just started coming on a few days ago
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTBSully
yeah but it wouldnt save your or your passengers head from gettin blowed up
true...but I make everyone ware a seatbelt so it should'nt be a issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air bag light