Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

A good source for 12v lighting/ignition switch??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A good source for 12v lighting/ignition switch??

I figured this would be a good place to come post a question about wiring. I recently bought 2 gauges for my car, a trans temp and dpss gauge. The dpss is no problem with 3 basic wires. The trans temp is calling for one wire to be ran a a 12v light source and a seperate wire to run to a 12v terminal on the ignition or any other switched 12v.

This is what I'm needing to know. I am no electrician and have problems on basic wiring.. It just don't click with me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This question seems to be getting asked a lot lately:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...2-12v-key.html
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried a search, I guess I just didn't type in the right thing..

So, do I need to buy the add a line thing and plug it into one of those fuses?? Then just simply run the correct wire from the gauge to that fuse? I'm sorry if these questions seem dumb but I really know absolutely nothing about wiring and not much about cars. I'm just trying to do this on my own so that I don't get charged 300 dollars to have them installed..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need a flat blade connector crimped on the end of a wire (18 gauge would probably be sufficient) and an inline fuse. Insert the flat blade into the slot in that fuse panel from the front, and run the wire to the inline fuse. After the inline fuse, just run it up to the power side of the gauges.

The only thing you'll need to do after that is ground them (just run it to a screw under the dash somewhere that goes to metal) and run the signal from the senders.

Quick Reply: A good source for 12v lighting/ignition switch??