Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener?

Anyone use this stuff? I did a search of sound deadener, and found alot of info, but not much on this particular product.

They're selling a kit with 100 sq/ft of the 80mil Rattletrap, a knife, roller, and shipping, for $199.

I thought that looked decent compared to the others.

eDead80 is going for $2/sq ft, and RAAMat is $90 for 37.5 sq ft.

I want to do my Formula, the rattles and road noise have been driving me crazy, I'm thinking this might be a good idea to try and improve the interior of the car for not alot of money. I want to do the doors, floor, hatch, trunk area, and as far up the kick panels and firewall as I can. The hatch area already has some dynamat from a previous owner, so I'm hoping 100 sq ft will be enough.

I also think I want to pick up some RAAMat Ensolite 100 peel and stick (or similar product) to do the back of the interior pieces.

Hopefully between the two products it will quiet the interior of the car, while giving it a more solid feel, as far as the doors closing.I really like the quiet and tightness of a newer car, I want to instill some of that into my Bird.

Thanks for any info!!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Default used it last week

I used it on the hatch/ wheelwell area and in the doors. planning on doing under the carpet when i get a weekend with better weather. It was pretty easy to apply, definitely made a difference, especially in the doors. Don't have to turn the system up nearly as loud to hear all the detail in the music. Only drawback is there's a little bit of an odor, sort of like a fresh asphalt smell. I'm hoping it goes away after a few weeks.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got done putting second skin in my entire car and of the get go it have made the best improvement. I had edead and dynomat in the car before and second skin is twice as good.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro_geek
I used it on the hatch/ wheelwell area and in the doors. planning on doing under the carpet when i get a weekend with better weather. It was pretty easy to apply, definitely made a difference, especially in the doors. Don't have to turn the system up nearly as loud to hear all the detail in the music. Only drawback is there's a little bit of an odor, sort of like a fresh asphalt smell. I'm hoping it goes away after a few weeks.
The smell will go away.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
The smell will go away.
How long does it take? And will it come back on really hot days?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
How long does it take? And will it come back on really hot days?
In Rhode Island it shouldn't be to bad, but it can come back on the hot days and it might take a little while for it to go away. Personally, I would NEVER buy a asphalt based deadening for that vary reason. Do your home work and you will find which are asphalt based and which aren't.

Also, something like Luxury Liner Pro, or eDead V4 would be a good way to go. Basically a thick closed cell foam. Thats what actually does most of the actual sound deadening where as something like Fatmat is more to prevent rattles and such. A little research will explain it. Kinda hard to explain.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squee
In Rhode Island it shouldn't be to bad, but it can come back on the hot days and it might take a little while for it to go away. Personally, I would NEVER buy a asphalt based deadening for that vary reason. Do your home work and you will find which are asphalt based and which aren't.

Also, something like Luxury Liner Pro, or eDead V4 would be a good way to go. Basically a thick closed cell foam. Thats what actually does most of the actual sound deadening where as something like Fatmat is more to prevent rattles and such. A little research will explain it. Kinda hard to explain.
You'd be surprised hot how it can get here. Last summer had quite a few days that were up around 100*. Plus the humidy gets nasty. After baking in the sun all day at work, the interior of that car gets HOT.

I agree with you though, I'll not be using any asphalt based products. Thanks for the product recomendations, I'll look into those.

I just realized I may have been interpreting the Fatmat product wrong...when you say preventing rattles, are those everyday squeeks and rattles, or the rattles that come from alot of bass with a powerful stereo?

That won't be a problem for me, I'm running the stock HU and only have plans to upgrade the speakers. Plus the car already has been dynamated in places...there is some in the hatch area, and there are pieces in the sail panels behind where the speakers should go (mine are missing, I discovered that last summer).

I'm just interested in quieting down road noise and squeeky interior panels, and getting a more solid feel when I close the doors.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
You'd be surprised hot how it can get here. Last summer had quite a few days that were up around 100*. Plus the humidy gets nasty. After baking in the sun all day at work, the interior of that car gets HOT.

I agree with you though, I'll not be using any asphalt based products. Thanks for the product recomendations, I'll look into those.

I just realized I may have been interpreting the Fatmat product wrong...when you say preventing rattles, are those everyday squeeks and rattles, or the rattles that come from alot of bass with a powerful stereo?

That won't be a problem for me, I'm running the stock HU and only have plans to upgrade the speakers. Plus the car already has been dynamated in places...there is some in the hatch area, and there are pieces in the sail panels behind where the speakers should go (mine are missing, I discovered that last summer).

I'm just interested in quieting down road noise and squeeky interior panels, and getting a more solid feel when I close the doors.

Thanks!
The thing you have to realize is where the noises are coming from and how you need to deal with them. Basically, alot of the noise you hear is from vibrations. The vibrations in the panels basically amplify the noise. That is where something like the Fatmat will help. It will basically cut the vibrations down and reduce THAT noise, but you still have other noises to deal with. The other noises to consider are your wind, road, exhaust, engine noises are alot of the noises you hear. The Fatmat, or equivalent will help cut down on some of it slightly, but not much. To help with those noises, you have to block them with something like a closed cell foam. Thats what will actually make the inside of the car quite. This might help explain it a little: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Thanks for the info, I'll check out that link.

Quick Reply: Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener?