Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Clarion FZ501 - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarion FZ501 - any good?

Does anyone have any input on the Clarion FZ501?
http://www.keeaudio.com/id96.html <- bottom right
Manufacturer's link: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...459365463.html

I'm not going for a top end system, just something that's better than what's in there and I'm thinking of starting with the HU rather than the speakers like I planned.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that it's only a 4-channel unit where it seems many new ones are 6. With the rest of my system stock, this isn't a problem as the stock HU is 4-channel as well. But if I decide to add a sub down the line, will this be an issue? Or will using a line-level adapter give me the same results?

I don't plan on replacing the stock amp, so maybe this isn't even an issue... If I use the wire harness on the radio (amped signal) for the speakers, can I still use the RCA line-level outputs to go to a sub (or am I confused and those RCA jacks aren't line level?)?

Also if anyone can suggest an alternate HU - needs to support Sirius, bluetooth, steering wheel controls and have a clean and/or factory-ish look to it. I prefer a single-DIN over a double. I'm not tied to this one, just seems the best looks/features/price I've found.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

The wattage is the same as kenwood and pioneer, and the head unit looks like it has some nice features. Its not exactly top of the line brand but a good middle brand.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

I was just looking and found this Kenwood KDC-BT945U headunit looks like everything you want. Also the stock amp would tie in through your wiring harness, the rca outputs are for an aftermarket amp and sub combo.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The number out RCA outs will not matter when using the stock amp. It would only come into play if you were to use an aftermarket amp to power your entire system. Even then you would still have front and rear out for a 4-channel amp and still be able to split channels if needed to add another amp.
If you email me today before 5:00pm EST I can get you or anyone else that's interested a Clarion NZ500 (last years model) for $400.00. My distributor has 2 left and they won't be here long, the beginning of the week there were 5 cases.
The NZ500 is the flip out with built in navigation, and it does have 6-channel RCA out.
Gotta know something today though as they won't be there long.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, that's all what I was thinking, just needed confirmation.

Ian - that Kenwood KDC-BT945U that edobi mentioned looks nice - is that something you carry or can get?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xl1200r
Thanks guys, that's all what I was thinking, just needed confirmation.

Ian - that Kenwood KDC-BT945U that edobi mentioned looks nice - is that something you carry or can get?
I've got it. I haven't updated the site for all the new Kenwood stuff. I have a ton of Kenwood's new 2011 product line and have to get it up.

Quick Reply: Clarion FZ501 - any good?