Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier

Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 AM
dcm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier

I have a 1996 Firebird with the 10 speaker pre monsoon stereo. I would like to use the factory HU and run a 5 channel amp. It looks easy to make the front and rear channels use a inline input to rca adapter, but if you look at the wiring you will see that the front and rear speaker inputs go to the right b pillar amp.

So with that...

1. What wiring would I use to run the subs

2. I am assuming that I can just use the supplies front rear left right radio outputs to power the fronts and rears?

3. Is the factory unit worth the time of day. I really would like to keep the
factory look.

4. can you use a monsoon amp with the earlier unit. And is it worth it?

5. I hear the factory unit is a distortion monster. I have a later unit (see pics)
Are there any good unit’s avalible that are factory?
Attached Thumbnails 1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp11.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp12.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp13.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp15.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp16.jpg  

1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp17.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-tmp18.jpg   1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier-2002radio.jpg  

Last edited by dcm; 03-28-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not the factory radio? Are you running one from another vehicle? Might check first to make sure that will work in your model.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
dcm

Default radio

If your referring
to the radio in the picture, it's a radio from a later model. I have the am fm cd etr radio with the multi band eq. I have been told the factory radio is a distortion monster. So I was wondering if a better factory hu is out there that's good quality sound output. Something newer and better (even older if one is better) but I need a cd player and want to incorporate an sux jack for my music player. I really like the stock look. Less to raise concern and interest.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM
dcm

Default Wow

not even a nibble. I guess the other 4th gen site was right. you guys are so LS1 focused. i bummed. thanks for all the help. im sure this will get me booted so thanks again.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

wow butthurt much? not even a simple bump or ttt? now you are guaranteed to not get any help. good luck dude
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM

I help you out dude....I have 1995 Firebird Formula 10 speaker package too and wired the same. First of all I did some looking into and how all the wiring goes back to the stock amplifier for the sail panel speakers wiring any after marktet amp to the stock one will just give you a buzzing noise due to its not wired to the stock amps ground. So you can get a ground loop isolator for like 17 bucks, HOWEVER!! doing so will require you to make you turn the after market amplifier's power to the max in order to use the stock amplifer if you still wan to use it. You can use a 4 channel amp instead and use the stock amps wires run them to the trunk and cross them over to get more power to a sub if you are interested, I did it and it sounds great but I have a 2 channel amp for my doors and the power had to be turned to max anyways.

My second option if you want to get rid of the stock amp, find it and remove the wires from it, make sure you know which wires go to which speaker and how they are wired up. Then just slice and input them into the after market amp. But you will be required to used a 5 channel amp to get the bass in the sail panels. Also just to inform you so nobody tells you any wrong info. Your front doors have high pass filters for the tweets so dont worry about that, your woofers in the doors need a cross over or else you will have full range frequency, and the rears have always been full range no difference but you might not want much power in the rear if you planning on keeping them or just using them for the sail panels in that case you just need 4 channel amp and ditch the rear wires.

Hope I helped because this took me a while to find out and experiments and I haven't wired it up the second way cuz i dont want to spend on a 4 channel or 5 channel amp for no reason when you can amp the front doors with a 2 channel amp with noise isolator just remember that (dont want buzzing when car is turned on) and I use the stock amp to power my 10 inch sub which shakes the car and you can hear from far away. So why spend more when you can spend less and make it just as good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 10 speaker pontiac system pre monsoon aftermarket 5 channel amplifier