Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket HU and iPod

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket HU and iPod

I'm thinking about replacing my Monsoon, BUT I love the ipod adapter that came with my car, my ipod stays hidden in the console and I have no wires dangling.

There aren't too many HUs that have rear USB, so what do you all do, plug your ipod in the front?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my ipod is plugged in the front and i dont mind , I just put my ipod in the ashtray since i dont smoke .. but if you really want it to be hidden, you can do what I saw some other guy done , route the usb wire from the back , and put your ipod in the glovebox ..

what HU do you have in mind ?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad that its getting harder to find headunits with rear usb/ipod etc now... i think front looks ugly
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

true , but you can always use a usb stick as an alternative , doesnt look ugly or messy .. I couldnt be bothered to run my ipod cable from the back , so I either plug it in the front (messy) , or just use my usb stick , just as good ..

not the best pics but you get the idea :

[IMG][/IMG]

İf you do consider a 2DIN HU , I suggest pioneer avh-p series , affordable , but has all the goodies that are essential ..
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what HU yet. I love Pioneer stuff, and I think the 8200/8300 is highly recommended, but I get the feeling the single **** for everything isn't the best. I'm personally looking for a single din with CD player, I don't really think I have a need for double din.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The one I have is a Alpine HU and it has the ipod/usb connection on the back. It came with about a 2ft cable that I have hide behind the dash works great.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

My Alpine IDA-X100 (at least 2 generations old) has a rear USB port with an extension that I've run to my glove box where my iPod lives. I love it. Most of Alpine's digital media receivers have rear USB ports if you don't mind not having a CD player and having to buy and install modules for Bluetooth, XM, HD Radio, and sound processing. I have the Bluetooth module on my X100 but I do wish I had a CD player or that I could hook up my GM CD changer to the Alpine . I also wish I had a 2nd front USB port or an SD card slot because I do a lot of recording with a Zoom H2 which takes an SD card and it would be nice to hear how they sound when I'm finished recording.