Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

IPOD as head unit

Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD as head unit

Anybody done it? Here's what I'm thinking; IPOD->>4(or 6) channel amp-> speakers and subs. I did this years ago when the personal cd players were fresh on the market. Makes for the ultimate stealth system, unplug IPOD and take it with you. No head unit for thieves to drool over. Am I missing anything?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'll be doing this as soon as my suspension is finished.

What exactly did you do to avoid the amp from thinking its going to receive the audio signal from the ipod? headunits have the remote wire.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I 'll be doing this as soon as my suspension is finished.

What exactly did you do to avoid the amp from thinking its going to receive the audio signal from the ipod? headunits have the remote wire.
Just wired the remote on wire to the ignition switch. You just have to make sure that your IPOD is connected when the ignition(amp) is on.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

I used this setup in a boat once. Takes less than 5 minutes and worked great. The only other part needed is for volume control. I had to use a separate **** that basically works just like the gain on an amp as the ipod couldn't do volume control.

Search this Thread