Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Overheating Amps?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating Amps?

Hey all this is on a Toyota scion but im looking to you all for help.
A friend recently brought this car to me asking if I could figure out the problem with her stereo not really good at electronics but i thought I should give it a whirl anyway you know? chivalry and all
Well it seems that if you drive the car more then 20 mins having the stereo not too loud but decent volume it will eventually just cut off I can still hear the bass but the bass is really low and the head unit itself is on but i do not hear anything else almost like its been muted.
I shut down the head unit then restart will work for a few mins then it will happen again once its passed the 20 min marker or so it will shut off every few mins till it gets a lengthy cooldown.

There are 2 planet audio amps 300 x4 (1200?) attached to 2 JLC 12 inch subs in a box filling up the whole trunk my whole diagnosis is that the amps are overheating but she has never had this problem before and had the car for a year this way. Amps are too hott to touch i checked all the ground wires for pinched speakers or disconnected anything but they were fine not sure what sure else to check looking to you all for help!
Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

I agree with you the amp is overheating. I know my audiobahn would get hot and the amp had a built in thing to slow the amount of power going out until it cooled down and then the power would jump back up when it was cooled down. Very annoying when the amp cuts on and off.
Only thing I can suggest is do some research on the actual amp and subs and make sure they are compatible RMS wise. Alot of people sell underpowered amps that do not match the sub and work the **** out of the amp, causing it to overheat.

maybe this
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/am...g-300-4-a.html
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bb4-150.../dp/B0048LVWA4
I wonder if it is 4 channel@75 watts.
If it is 1200 watts like the amazon one, that is some huge amps and should have no problem unless the amp has no cooling fan.

Maybe it helps maybe not, but good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

yea that 2nd one is exactly what it looks like. It so strange she would start having problems now she never did before and would usually blast it :/
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow78z28
Hey all this is on a Toyota scion but im looking to you all for help.
A friend recently brought this car to me asking if I could figure out the problem with her stereo not really good at electronics but i thought I should give it a whirl anyway you know? chivalry and all
Well it seems that if you drive the car more then 20 mins having the stereo not too loud but decent volume it will eventually just cut off I can still hear the bass but the bass is really low and the head unit itself is on but i do not hear anything else almost like its been muted.
I shut down the head unit then restart will work for a few mins then it will happen again once its passed the 20 min marker or so it will shut off every few mins till it gets a lengthy cooldown.

There are 2 planet audio amps 300 x4 (1200?) attached to 2 JLC 12 inch subs in a box filling up the whole trunk my whole diagnosis is that the amps are overheating but she has never had this problem before and had the car for a year this way. Amps are too hott to touch i checked all the ground wires for pinched speakers or disconnected anything but they were fine not sure what sure else to check looking to you all for help!
Thanks
Check the ohm load
Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Is the volatge dropping low when shes driving around? That could cause the amps to heat up and go into protection mode. As far as the head unit cutting out i dont know.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default go to speakers first

To solve your problem, you have to satisfy your speakers needs. Proably a 2 channel 2000 Watt amp with a 1 or 2 ohm load for the bass speakers by their selves. An eight channel 1200 Watt amp 2 ohm load for your mids and front speakers should solve your problem. Ohms are directly related to your wiring. If you can not afford to replace your amps, try wiring your speakers in a series which will not pull as much current. I hope this will help.

Search this Thread