Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

serious electronic issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious electronic issues

i am having some serious problems with my 2002 z28. i first noticed when i was drving late at night that the dash lights were really dim. as i kept driving i had the asr light come on followed by the abs inop, air bag, service vehicle, check gages, and the security light. i had to get gas anyway so i stopped and got gas of course then it wouldnt crank up. so my dad and i took the battery home charged it and brought it back to my car and put it in. it was fully charged but started off in the red on the voltage gauge. i made it halfway home until it all started again but this time i kept going so eventually i lost absolutely everything. at one point i thought the car had shut off on me but i was able to keep driving. then the throttle started to go in and out on me until i ended up on the side of the road again. my dad caught up and we switched batteries from his truck which got me home but as soon as i turned the car off it would not turn over again. my dad took the alternator somewhere and they said it works fine so that is not the problem. im sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I would have another place check the alternator, it sounds like the culprit unless you have as loose ground .
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM

ok so my dad has even put my alternator in his truck and it worked. when he took it out of my car it was also covered in oil and dirt and he said that he had read its not good for them to be dirty and oily so he cleaned it up before he even took it to have it looked at. the alternator is now clean and back in my car with the battery being charged. hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM

so my car was working again and i drove to school then i was driving to work and the check gages light came on and i saw the the voltage was once again dipping into the red now its stuck somwhere else that is not my house once again.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

I'm no electrician by any means but if the alternator is good, it sounds like you may have a loose or corroded ground. I had a similar problem in my old C5 and that's what it turned out to be.