Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another sound deadener product question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another sound deadener product question...

Ok, so I'm wanting to add some sound deadener to the Bird in a few weeks.

After doing some research, it seems that I don't have to actually cover EVERY exposed metal surface with the silver stuff (I'll prob use Raamat BXT II), just key places, including the center of large panels and where (and behind) speakers mount.

As I understand it, the silver stuff is to cancel any vibrations in the metal panels, whether they're from the stereo or exhaust resonance.

To actually insulate from SOUND, and to make the interior quieter, what I need to do is cover everything, including behind all trim panels, with a layer of acoustical/thermal foam, such as Raamat Ensolite.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but since I don't have any vibes from the stereo or exhaust as it is, and mainly want to make the car quieter, I should focus less on covering EVERYTHING in silver damper, and instead focus on lining everything in Ensolite?

BTW my goals are to make the interior of the car quieter, making long drives more comfortable and conversations in the car easier. I also want a more solid sound/feel when closing the doors, and lastly, I'd like to eliminate squeeks and rattles from the interior pieces (I'm assuming the foam will help there).

Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one has any ideas?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

i would use both as much as possible. makes a pretty good difference