Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing line level converter...exactly which wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing line level converter...exactly which wires

Hey guys so I was going to use a pac oem-1 to run signal from the stock Monsoon in my 02 Camaro to my amp but long story short I wasn't shipped the proper components and have decided to say screw it!!

I'm now going to use a line level converter. I have the RCAs ran up to the dash already but I'm wondering exactly which wires out of the stock harness I'm supposed to splice into. Also there are approximately 4-6 wires coming out of the 2 channel converter I bought, are they all used?

I did a search didn't really find any exact instruction for hooking up a line level converter. Someone please tell me step by step how I do this off my stock Monsoon HU. Also wondering what method/connector is best for splicing into the wires as I am looking to maintain all stock speakers, I just want to draw signal for the sub.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

ok, someone has to know how to do this...

help, Whitebird maybe?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used RCA outputs from an aftermarket HU for my own car, but...

If you haven't bought an amp yet, seems like you could get one with speaker level inputs built in. then use some quick splice connectors at the Monsoon amp by the spare tire on the HU input wires, and run them to your new amp.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

everything is run already, RCAs are already ran up to the dash. I'm trying to salvage this install and avoid changing anything further.

All I need to know is which wires I should splice into once i pull the head unit out and expose the harness.

Also why are there 6 wires coming out of my 2 channel line level converter, I know one is for the remote turn on but which ones am i actually splicing into what?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

pretty sure I've figured this out now. I found an old post from whitebird that said which wires to splice at headunit. So thanks indirectly Whitebird
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

If it didnt work out of for ya.....

+Brown -Yellow Left Rear
+Dark Blue -Light Blue Right Rear
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

@habeba86

Thanks a lot for the response! I ended up finding the same info in an old thread, took forever but I found it. I appreciate your posting it here as well, now I don't have any doubts. Haven't actually done the actual splicing yet as I didn't have any paralell connectors at home...off to the parts store after work and then I'll get it all hooked up
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02nwZ28
pretty sure I've figured this out now. I found an old post from whitebird that said which wires to splice at headunit. So thanks indirectly Whitebird
Care to share the info you found or a link? I'll be installing a line level converter as well, and would like to know which ones to splice to.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The head unit pinout schematic is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

@whitbird00 Your old posts were invaluable, I had looked at the schematic but was unsure I was actually going to be splicing into the right wires. Some of your recent posts in other threads firmed it up for me and I was able to do the job right. This is why I love LS1Tech, I always end up finding the info I'm looking for. Granted sometimes it takes a lot of searching.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Teching In

If you ever have a question about which wire to connect to, call your local Best Buy (don't laugh) and ask the installer. I am one, and we have a program that tells us what every wire we need is and looks like.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This is the same Best Buy that tells every Monsoon owner that upgrades can't be done without replacing everything and rewiring?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This is the same Best Buy that tells every Monsoon owner that upgrades can't be done without replacing everything and rewiring?
That is probably from a non f-body owner. Yes, obviously there are dipshits at Best Buy. That's where YOUR judgment comes in handy. I have been installing for 8 years and haven't had any problems yet...

Quick Reply: installing line level converter...exactly which wires