Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Newb stereo question:

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb stereo question:

Ok folks. Here's the short version:

Bought Trans am with an aftermarket HU. Aftermarket Pioneer Amp. Aftermarket woofer.

The stock speakers still work and produce sound. Haven't checked them all yet - but I have lot's of sound.

The current set up sounds TERRIBLE.

My question is this: I am picking up a Monsoon HU / AMP really cheap to install. I am looking at going right back to stock, with an upgraded KEE AUDIO speaker package.

What wiring harnesses do I need?

(1)Should the factory harness still be intact even though he installed an after market unit? Or would that need to be removed to install the new HU?

I realize I won't know until I tear into it - but I have never installed stereos EVER - so I don't really know what's required.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If done properly, there will be no damage to the head unit wiring. The proper way is to get a harness adapter for about $10 that connects to the wires from the aftermarket HU and then plugs into the original factory harness. However, there are a lot of hacks out there who cut of the factor connector and directly splice the HU to the factory harness. Fear not... there is an inexpensive kit that includes a replacement factory connector and wire to repair the harness - much better than trying to replace it.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

If you can both read the wiring diagrams on this site and match up the car wires with the new (to you) head unit and solder/crimp wires, you're set
Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have a harness for someone who has a situation where someone cut the stock harness instead of using a harness adapter. It basically replaces that part so you can go back to stock if needed.
Hopefully this won't be necessary and everything is still intact.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome. Parts in the mail and email sent to KEE!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem mentioned above. About 10 years ago I installed a flip-up Alpine Video head unit in my T/A. I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Kenwood flip-up head unit and I'm dreading the install b/c my wires are all hacked up.

Ian, what kit do I need to go back to the stock harness? I would like to do a cleaner install this time, so I would like to have the stock harness back so I can just add a Metco adapter harness to it and be done with it.