Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

T/A & Corvette, subwoofer questions. Experts come inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A & Corvette, subwoofer questions. Experts come inside

Ok guys I need some help. I know just enough about stereos to get myself in trouble. As far as hooking things up and getting things working. That's easy.

What I want to know about. Is how to determine what subs, and stereo components in general are better others. I have had set-ups from as bad as a single xplod up to my Jeep that had an Alpine v12 pushing a pioneer SPL 5000 watt 12".

I want to know what makes some subs better than other. I don't want some POS system but I also don't want to put my SPL in my car. It is far too much. The speaker weighs like 70lbs by itself. So how come subs, like a Sony 12" that is rated at 1200 watts doesn't hit nearly as hard as a JL W3 that isn't rated nearly as high. Is it the size of the magnets that makes the differences? What is it? When is it better to have two decent subs rather than one good one, size that is more surface area?

If I knew this stuff it wouldn't make me nearly as nervous buying less known brands like Diamond Audio or something like that, rather than spending more on JL or Pioneer Premiere.

And if you guys are wondering or have an suggestions, Im looking to put some subwoofers in my z06 and my T/A.

I was thinking of putting something in the center storage area of the vette and
For the t/a I was thinking of a stealthbox in the drivers side storge area thing. If I need two speakers to get it to hit decently, maybe I'll get a t top box.

All input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

The reason some of the subs out there still sound like *** even though they're "rated as 1200w" is b/c that is max wattage and not rms. The majority of the better brands out there will be rated rms. And I would much rather have one good sub compared to two decent, sq>spl.

I'd get in contact with KEE Audio, one of the sponsors, and see what they suggest for what you're looking for.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I agree. Cue Kee Audio.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We have all your sub box needs
Atrend makes our C5 flush mount and stealth mount sub boxes
With the C5 your limited on mounting depth and magnet size as well.
The f body boxes will be here shortly

the C5 boxes are 89.99 flush or stealth mount

link to corvette boxes
we just got 100 flush mount in on Friday last week.

http://www.doubledmods.com/C5-Corvette-Sub-Box_c118.htm
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Website no worky. I've been on it before though so it must just be down temporarily.
How much will your trans am stealthboxes be?
How much are space do the corvette and trans am boxes have?
I'd be interested in the flushmount box, since there is no point in me getting a corvette stealbox that fits under the cargo lid, since Z06's dont have them.

If I want to run a 10" Pioneer Champion Series Pro in the Trans Am, and a 12" Champion Series Pro in the corvette, I'm not going to have enough room for the magnets I am guessing, if this is true, what can be done about this? Is there anyway to put like a 3/4 MDF ring where the sub would mount? Kinda like a spacer or washer for a nut? So that the sub is raised out of the box slightly? This would give me a tad big more internal air space, which would be good, right?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by brewersprts
Website no worky. I've been on it before though so it must just be down temporarily.
How much will your trans am stealthboxes be?
How much are space do the corvette and trans am boxes have?
I'd be interested in the flushmount box, since there is no point in me getting a corvette stealbox that fits under the cargo lid, since Z06's dont have them.

If I want to run a 10" Pioneer Champion Series Pro in the Trans Am, and a 12" Champion Series Pro in the corvette, I'm not going to have enough room for the magnets I am guessing, if this is true, what can be done about this? Is there anyway to put like a 3/4 MDF ring where the sub would mount? Kinda like a spacer or washer for a nut? So that the sub is raised out of the box slightly? This would give me a tad big more internal air space, which would be good, right?
sorry on website
we are uploading our new website now over next couple days so making changes is messing everything up
you will never get that Pioneer in a C5 let alone a Fbody box without major mods.
Question
why are you looking at this sub?
I would consider the IDQ10 if I was you or even the T3 Aduio T600 for the vette in a 12 inch and 10 in the TA
I have a Elemental Designs 10" e3.10 as well I can let go for 100.00 that will be so much nice than the Pioneer.

I do have 3/4 inch spacer rings for the boxes too

here is a T3 T600 sub

Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double D when do you plan to have the f body boxes ready to ship. Im either going to load a w3, w6 or a IDMAX v3 in one real soon I want to get this up and going quickly.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by blackstang3o2
Double D when do you plan to have the f body boxes ready to ship. Im either going to load a w3, w6 or a IDMAX v3 in one real soon I want to get this up and going quickly.
fbody will be awhile yet

We are having these made for us and will come from Atrend. The prototype box is now being sent to( china) for production. I know alot of you do not like the idea of stuff coming from China but the cost savings is huge for me to pass on to all of you. I am estimating a retail of around 59.99 for these(black or gray carpet). I will confirm this once we get numbers back from China. We are set to order 200 of these on first run after we get one back from them for test fit to sign off on production. Once this is done we will do a passenger side as well.
Currently the C5 boxes are made in the US at Atrend in Elk Grove Village Il. with a retail of 89.99.

Quick Reply: T/A & Corvette, subwoofer questions. Experts come inside