Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon LF speaker problem-sounds like it is blown

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon LF speaker problem-sounds like it is blown

I have an 02 Camaro SS with the Monsoon system. The car has only 10,000 miles and I have owned it since new.
The left front speaker sounds like it is blown. All other speakers sound normal.
I bought a new speaker from my Chevy dealer, installed it and no difference. OK, I thought maybe the amp was bad so I bought a new amp, replaced it and still no difference. Now I'm wondering if the head unit has gone bad, maybe a bad channel? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is entirely possible. I do not think any of the wiring would be bad. The speakers are generally the first to go bad and the stock radio does have issues from time to time. The amps do not have issues as much as the radios seem to. They are a dime a dozen on ebay. Install is very easy as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue, turned out to be the connector on the rim of the speaker housing.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

I have had several Camaros with very low miles that have blown speakers because the surrounds go bad on them very easily. You end up with a speaker that has a cone floating in the middle with pieces of the surround left. This allows the voice coil to touch and will blow the speaker. It has mostly to do with age and not the mileage of the car.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but he said he used a new speaker??
Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BCKNBLK
but he said he used a new speaker??
Your right...sorry...I guess we are back to checking the connectors on the back of the radio or the connectors on the speakers.
See if someone has a radio you can borrow and test to see if that changes anything before buying one. Junkyards have a bunch of them as well.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yah check to make sure all 4 screws are tight,, sometimes one missing a rattle will sound like a blown speaker.