Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery relocation blowing fuses. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery relocation blowing fuses. I need help

So i am trying to clean up the engine bay and i decided to relocate the battery to the rear. I couldnt find any guides so i tried to figure it out on my own and everything was going good until i started blowing fuses

After i finished relocating the battery i fired the car up and everything was fine. Drove around town for a little bit, everything is still good. I take a corner at a pretty decent speed and my battery wire to the first fuse box rips out pulling into a local car meet. I get some tools and get the wire back in place. Car fires up fine and drives great

After leaving the car meet i go to get gas. When i turn the car back on it wont start and i find out i blew the first 100amp fuse on the 0/4 gauge distribution block. So i look everything over, i cant find anything wrong and neither can my buddies im with. so i plug the 4gauge wire into the unused port and i put the car in run and everything is fine, but as soon as i start it and the motor turns over the fuse blows immediately

So now i have no fuses until tomorrow so i cant try anything, but I am still at a loss as to why its blowing all of a sudden

I checked the wires and nothing is grounding out or rubbed on metal . here is how i have it set up

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a short somewhere insulation worn down maybe
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

its all brand new wire, And i was careful not to strip any insulation when pulling it. But i will double check and make sure
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Old thread but I would venture to guess that it had something to do with the unfused distribution block you were using? How did this turn out?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

the fuses i had were too small i guess. I put in some 200amp fuses and havent had any problems since
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Doh, didn't even think of that. No way a 100 amper in the block would have held that.

Quick Reply: Battery relocation blowing fuses. I need help