Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Camaro V6 without Monsoon radio NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro V6 without Monsoon radio NEED HELP!

Ok I have a 2002 Camaro with just the standard radio system with the CD player but no monsoon sound system and I was wondering what size speakers and what kind do they take? I know the monsoon have components and subs and and all that in it but what about the stock systems with no monsoon system? I am trying to replace my speakers cause the two front speakers are blown plus I want it to sound better.

I just want to replace the speakers but keep the factory head unit, I am thinking of putting kickers DS65 in them, does anyone know if kickers sound good?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Read the stickies at the top of section page.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Read the stickies at the top of section page.
I did read them and everything I found was based on the monsoon audio system and I dont have that and want to know the difference between the two, cause I want to replace my speakers but don't know if they use components or just regular midrange speakers.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Teching In

If I'm not mistaken, the non-Monsoon systems have all full-range speakers. No components. I know the doors are 6.5", and if it has sail panels they are also 6.5", and the rear hatch speakers would be 4". I'm not sure if it has all of those, or if I'm right. But it's a starting point if nothing else.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MurderMaro
If I'm not mistaken, the non-Monsoon systems have all full-range speakers. No components. I know the doors are 6.5", and if it has sail panels they are also 6.5", and the rear hatch speakers would be 4". I'm not sure if it has all of those, or if I'm right. But it's a starting point if nothing else.
Well thank you and yes that is what I was thinking that they would just have regular full range speakers since it isn't the monsoon system and no I don't have the speakers in the trunk but still am not sure since I can't seem to find any information on the non monsoon systems.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The base (non-Monsoon) audio system used four full-range 6.5" speakers mounted in the doors and the sail panels. There was no external amplifier and all four channels were run directly from the head unit. I believe the sail panel speakers were GM's so-called "extended range" speakers which were 10-ohm but you can use ordinary 4-ohm speakers as replacements in both the doors and the sail panels.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The base (non-Monsoon) audio system used four full-range 6.5" speakers mounted in the doors and the sail panels. There was no external amplifier and all four channels were run directly from the head unit. I believe the sail panel speakers were GM's so-called "extended range" speakers which were 10-ohm but you can use ordinary 4-ohm speakers as replacements in both the doors and the sail panels.
Thank you very much that answers my question about the speakers, now once I order my speakers do I have to rewire the wires or is it simple plug and play? I'm keeping the factory head unit cause I like my car to look stock like it came off the dealer lot so I'm curious to know about the wiring if they need to be redone.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No rewiring is required. Even if you go with an aftermarket head unit you still wouldn't have to rewire - just get the harness adapter and the aftermarket HU will plug into the factory harness.

You will have to do some wire patching to connect the aftermarket speakers because they don't come with factory connectors on them.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro V6 without Monsoon radio NEED HELP!