Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Question

I have checked the sticky and did a search, but it seems that people are having a bit more severe issues than I. Im hoping that my problem will have a easy fix.

The car:

1997 SS, A4. Stock Monsoon, No Keyless Entry Pad, Stock Security System.

The Problem:

This has been going on since I purchased the car a little over a year ago. Since I do not have the Keyless Entry Pad, I have to use my door key to unlock my car. When I unlock the car however, I have 4-5 Seconds to get the key in the ignition and turn it over before the alarm goes off. IF the alarm does go off, the car doesn't shut down or do anything crazy; the alarm simply shuts off as soon as I turn the key in the ignition, and the car starts fine.

It is very irritating to have to do this everytime I unlock my car though. I would like to keep the alarm system in tact and in working order. Is there a way to reset this through the stock head unit?

By the way, I have disconected the battery a dozen times while working on the car and it never solved the alarm issue.

I am sorry if this is a played out question/issue, I may have missed the right thread containing my answer while I researched the problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a shock sensor by the spare tire. Moisture gets in that lil box size of cell phone.
Most of us unplugged and got rid of it, if you want you can open it and let it sit to dry.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
There is a shock sensor by the spare tire. Moisture gets in that lil box size of cell phone.
Most of us unplugged and got rid of it, if you want you can open it and let it sit to dry.
AHH...thanks man. I have seen that sensor many times and had my suspicions. IF I unplug it, I am guessing that it disables the entire alarm system? By the way, your Avatar is hilarious!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL thanks

No it won't disable the entire alarm system because its only 1 part of the system.

Its a shock sensor, its job is to figure out if some type of impact event happened on the car. Its malfunctioning or is moist right now in your car, a car passing by seems like an earth quake to that sensor so it sets off the alarm.

btw tampa is a chill place to be.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah Tampa isn't too shabby...humid as crazy, but better than freezing I suppose lol. The avatar literally made me laugh out loud, as many of them do from time to time; funny stuff. Thanks for your help and advice by the way; this is why I love this site.

I came across some threads that mentioned the Shock Sensor, but since my alarm only goes off 5 seconds after unlocking the car I didn't make that connection. I have leaned on the car while it was locked plenty of times and the alarm never tripped, so yeah..I never made that connection lol. Should I un-hook the battery before unplugging the sensor, or do anything else prior to doing so for that matter?

I will unplug it tomorrow and give an update. But for mere knowledge purposes, what makes the shock sensor trip the alarm like it does in my case. I guess what I'm saying/asking is that in my mind, a shock sensor trips the alarm when the car is hit or jolted by something. Why would that sensor go off when I unlock the car with my door key? I'm guessing that if it is indeed wet that it could have something to do with that lol. Like I said before; I figured it was a ignition issue or setting in the stock head unit.

Again, thanks for your help buddy
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, why don't you buy a key fob so you can unlock the doors and disarm the alarm without the key? They are cheap enough. I bought one of these not too long ago and it was very easy to program and works perfectly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2373&viewitem=
Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no point checking your shock sensor because the alarm behavior you are experiencing is normal and by design. Your alarm is currently programmed to arm when the doors are locked electrically - I presume you are using the inside power lock switch to lock the car. It will only disarm by unlocking with a remote key fob or by using the correct key in the ignition. It is programmed with an eight second delay upon opening the driver's door - you will find that the alarm sounds immediately if you open the passenger's door.

You have a couple of options. The best option is to buy and program a key fob as suggested above so that you have full control of your alarm system. Alternatively, you could lock the car using either the manual slide lock on the inside door handle or with the key from outside the car. This will lock the car without arming the alarm system (just remember you have to lock each door separately). Or, you could program the alarm off by following the instructions in your owner's manual (also posted here).

BTW, the alarm system is entirely contained in the BCM and is not related to the head unit as it is on later GM models.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no point checking your shock sensor because the alarm behavior you are experiencing is normal and by design. Your alarm is currently programmed to arm when the doors are locked electrically - I presume you are using the inside power lock switch to lock the car. It will only disarm by unlocking with a remote key fob or by using the correct key in the ignition. It is programmed with an eight second delay upon opening the driver's door - you will find that the alarm sounds immediately if you open the passenger's door.

You have a couple of options. The best option is to buy and program a key fob as suggested above so that you have full control of your alarm system. Alternatively, you could lock the car using either the manual slide lock on the inside door handle or with the key from outside the car. This will lock the car without arming the alarm system (just remember you have to lock each door separately). Or, you could program the alarm off by following the instructions in your owner's manual (also posted here).

BTW, the alarm system is entirely contained in the BCM and is not related to the head unit as it is on later GM models.
Well that does make more sense, and I really appreciate the help guys. I do use my door switch to lock the car when I get out and park it, and yes; the alarm has immediately sounded when opening the passenger door with my key. The car is my daily driven project and I have been dealing with more pressing issues. The alarm issue just crossed my mind the other night and I posted to see what kind of information I would get back. I will just order a new fob; which is the easy fix I was hoping for lol. Sorry if this was a redundant thread, the research I did gave me postings of people's cars locking down completley and so forth. Thanks again for the help guys.

And also, thank you to bad_408_vert for checking in and trying to help out.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by APG12
Just out of curiosity, why don't you buy a key fob so you can unlock the doors and disarm the alarm without the key? They are cheap enough. I bought one of these not too long ago and it was very easy to program and works perfectly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2373&viewitem=
Thanks for posting this link btw. I am guessing that this is the ebay dealer you bought your fob from and had good luck with? Are they all pretty much the same, or are there some that you guys would stay away from?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that is the exact one I bought and everything worked perfectly. It's an OEM GM remote so you know you are getting a good quality piece, not junk like some others sell.

When you get it, follow these (very simple) directions for programming:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ar/key_fob.htm
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by APG12
Yea that is the exact one I bought and everything worked perfectly. It's an OEM GM remote so you know you are getting a good quality piece, not junk like some others sell.

When you get it, follow these (very simple) directions for programming:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ar/key_fob.htm
Awesome, thanks man. I will just order one from this dealer since you had good luck with it. Thanks for posting the programming instructions too. You guys have been a great help
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

woops . sorry Tampa 97 SS I didn't mean to put you on wrong path.
I misread the exact problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
woops . sorry Tampa 97 SS I didn't mean to put you on wrong path.
I misread the exact problem.
Nah dude, no worries what so ever! If my alarm ever gets SUPER sensitive I'll know why and where to start lol.