Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL Subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JL Subs

I know that there is a difference between the sub levels but is there a big difference in the quality and thump between the 12w1 and 12w3? I'm looking into replacing my kenwoods and going back to a jl (previously had a 10w3 in a stealth box). I can get 2 12w1's for about 150 brand new. Right now I have a 450w alpine amp. So again, I know there is a difference but is it really that noticeable of one?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excursion, and output are both significantly different between those 2 subs. The W1 is just above the W0 and WX but IMO the W3 is a better sub all around over both of those.
There are MUCH better subs for $150.00 then the W series JL. You would be better spending the money on a different sub that is in that price range to get better bang for the buck.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the w1's are 150 for both not each. so i would be saving a ton of money if i went that route and i probably wouldnt need to change out my amp
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
but the w1's are 150 for both not each. so i would be saving a ton of money if i went that route and i probably wouldnt need to change out my amp
If your looking for bump and want JL I would be looking at a single W6 with the amp you have now. Keep an eye on craigslist and you might get lucky. I picked up a 10" W7 for $200.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
If you can get 2 new JL 10W1V2 subs for $150.00 knock yourself out. That is a stellar deal at $75.00 per sub. Lowest I have seen them from an authorized dealer is for about $99.00 per sub shipped. A W1 is a decent sub. I just used a couple for a customer. I just like more then those are capable of so I can always tune it down if I want less vs. trying to get more from a sub that can't put out anymore then it is giving. With 2 though you should be ok. I understand what you are trying to do by keeping your current amp and matching the subs to that.

I would take a brand new Massive, RE Audio, TC Sounds, MMATS, Robot Underground, etc. for around $200.00 over a used W7 any day though. The W7 is a decent sub of course but a used sub is a used sub and with the reputation of the W7 I am sure that sub has seen some abuse. Unless it was someone I knew or something. I saw one on Craigslist not long ago myself that had a small tear in the surround for cheap. It was very small but no way would I go near that personally. It would just make me wary. Sounds like you got a good buy though if it keeps on working well for you.

Quick Reply: JL Subs