Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ported box question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
-M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported box question

I have searched for awhile but the only thing i found was threats/posts talking about this topic for a competition type build....

Ive been pondering the idea of having a ported box built into the 'cubby' of my car while utilizing the space where my current Bose sub is sitting. I did the berger panel mod and to do so I had to remove the Bose sub and when I did i realized it was relatively small but packed a punch.

I was told a ported box would give the best sound for a good 10" sub (12" is the biggest i would go) installed in the trunk/hatch. I would like to keep my "trunk" portion available for available space.

I want to install 6 speakers (5 if I can utilize the space where the Bose sub is for a ported box), tweeters and an amp for speakers and an amp for the sub... Is it possible to have one? Im not going for competition, just want a better sounding system.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I'd just stay with a sealed setup. Yes you could run ported, it just has its pros and cons. While it might not be technically correct, the way i think of it is while the ported box can hit higher peak numbers (deeper bass) a sealed box has a wider range of frequencies that it will play better than the ported.

Ported boxes have a smaller range of frequencies they will play well, and will only "get crazy" on that small section. I'm not saying they're bad, I have one in my truck, but for more of a dd system if you will, sealed would be the better option IMO. For most people, the subthump box for these cars are more than adequate.

And to answer your question, yes its possible, but if you're just wanting a better sounding system, sealed is fine.