Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

antenna issues after new headunit install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation antenna issues after new headunit install

I have a 2000 Trans Am, and have it has a motorized antenna. I used to have an Alpine flip-out unit and my antenna worked as it should. Whenever the source was on "Radio" the antenna would come up, and whenever the source was changed to "CD" the antenna would go down.

I recently installed a new Pioneer flip-out unit. For some reason the power antenna always stays up. Even when the source is not on "Radio", the antenna stays up.

Why is this happening? And what's the solution?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That is just the difference between different manufacturers head unit design. Some makers move the antenna up and down depending on music source (Alpine) while others just move it up and down based on whether the HU is on (Pioneer, GM OEM).
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, like Whitebird said thats a nice "Alpine feature". Unfortunately your not going to get that feature with Pioneer.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM
-M-

I had to do the opposite of this with my head unit install...

Try splicing your antenna wire from the head unit to the antenna wire to the car and splice the amp output wire to the accessory wire of the car if you have a factory amp or aftermarket amp...
Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by -M-
Try splicing your antenna wire from the head unit to the antenna wire to the car and splice the amp output wire to the accessory wire of the car if you have a factory amp or aftermarket amp...
The OP was concerned that the antenna did not retract when the HU is on but listening to CD or other non-radio source. He already has the antenna wire connected to the HU but his Pioneer HU doesn't support that feature.

BTW, the factory amp doesn't use a remote turn-on wire.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like my only option is to cut the antenna wire and put a switch on it.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I've got a Pioneer, with no power antenna wire from the HU. My antenna always stays down. I kinda want to switch it, but the radio still works (to the 90% margin) so I don't mind much. Thought about adding a wire to the harness for it, but no big deal. 3rd Pioneer and loved them all, Alpine sounds tempting for this, but why turn on a good thing? lol
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
-M-

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
BTW, the factory amp doesn't use a remote turn-on wire.
Oh yeah? I think otherwise! I just had the biggest headache the other day trying to figure it out. Called up a local audio installer and he said wire it up like i told OP to do, as the Bose factory system wouldnt emit sound... worked fine once I did it.

The head unit antenna output would turn on the amp, but when in CD, AUX or Bluetooth it wouldnt emit sound but you can see it working... weird.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -M-
Oh yeah? I think otherwise! I just had the biggest headache the other day trying to figure it out. Called up a local audio installer and he said wire it up like i told OP to do, as the Bose factory system wouldnt emit sound... worked fine once I did it.

The head unit antenna output would turn on the amp, but when in CD, AUX or Bluetooth it wouldnt emit sound but you can see it working... weird.
Bose system? what year model are you talking about? The OP has a 2000 T/A (Monsoon system), and Whitebird is correct.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by -M-

The Bose system was only available in 93-96 Camaros. Early 4th generation Firebirds had a 10-speaker premium sound system with an amp that powered only the sail panel subs. The premium audio system in all 97-02 F-bodies was the Monsoon which had an 8-channel amp activated by signal sensing rather than a remote turn-on wire.

There's lots more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 AM

check ur wiring again,same thing happened to me
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Antenna question if you dont mind.

My antenna goes up and buzzes/grinds. Its always up regardless of CD or fm radio. goes down with the powers off ofcourse. But the kicker is i have a factory radio and everything :/ My brothers TA does the right thing, cd down, fm up... why not mine??
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Your brother must have an aftermarket head unit. The factory head unit puts the antenna up whenever it has power regardless of the music source in use.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Hmm. i thought his always did that :/ lol he has an alpine in it now, but i guess that solves that question..

One more for ya. any way of getting rid of the buzz/grind sound? ive read a few threads, but cant seem for anyone to have the same problem with a remedy. It only "grinds" at full extend.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Resurrecting an old thread. I have an alpine head unit installed and my power antenna never comes up even when I switch it to radio. Makes listening to the radio a pain because all of the static.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Can't tell without you doing some diagnostics:
- is the antenna getting constant (battery) power on the orange wire? If not, check the RADIO ACCY fuse first and then start tracing from there.
- is the antenna getting switched power on the pink wire when the radio is on? If not, check settings in the Alpine menus, check that the blue (or blue/white) wire from the head unit is properly connected to the blue wire in the wiring adapter harness (you did use an adapter harness right? - if not, the blue HU wire goes to the pink factory wire)
- if power is okay, are you sure the antenna even works? It could just be a dead power antenna.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Can't tell without you doing some diagnostics:
- is the antenna getting constant (battery) power on the orange wire? If not, check the RADIO ACCY fuse first and then start tracing from there.
- is the antenna getting switched power on the pink wire when the radio is on? If not, check settings in the Alpine menus, check that the blue (or blue/white) wire from the head unit is properly connected to the blue wire in the wiring adapter harness (you did use an adapter harness right? - if not, the blue HU wire goes to the pink factory wire)
- if power is okay, are you sure the antenna even works? It could just be a dead power antenna.
The antenna worked flawlessly up until the day I installed the HU. I'll do some diagnostics this weekend! Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: antenna issues after new headunit install