Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blew my Polk SR104-DVC sub Friday night

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Blew my Polk SR104-DVC sub Friday night

Last week I started having issues with the amp popping into protection mode at my personal max volume level. It then started doing it at any volume level so I tore it apart yesterday to see the wire from the terminal to the voice coil had sheared at the solder connection. Looks like they are taking a beating from the cone.

Luckily I purchased this from an authorized dealer since I read 1 review about this problem with this sub and wanted the manufacturer's 3 year warranty. I didn't think it would happen or maybe had been since resolved, apparently not. I've only had the sub for 4 months and IMO, I don't abuse it at all. Just venting the particular cheapness of this $350+ "quality" Polk sub.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a too short of a wire issue,,, not a solder issue as it sheared the wire right off,, you bend any metal up and down enough it will break off. Im not saying i would buy those subs but it doesnt look like it would be hard to fix... id extend the wire while your at it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not fixing anything. Sent it off to Polk for a replacement. They said they have the issue resolved now. We'll see.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they used wire that isn't braided. That is unusual for a high end sub. The thickness looks good but the quality of the wire did not. Generally braided type wire is used so it doesn't shear off over repeated back and forth movement which any sub is going to do.
I actually like that sub pretty well but have never really taken a good look inside it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You definitely can shear braided wire. I've done it. Although typically when I've done it, it was with handling a circuit board and a wire broke off and I had to re-solder it.

The forces that a sub woofer administers can shear a braided wire at the solder point just like in the picture if the wire is flexing at the solder point. Those wires should not be flexing at the solder point. Its a bad design to allow that to happen because as the picture shows, it will shear. there should be another mechanical means to secure the wires so they don't flex there (either a clip above the solder point to secure the wire jacket to the frame or hot glue that covers the solder and wire jacket to hold it to the frame) and the wires should probably be a little longer / better routed. Most that I've seen typically go with longer wire and different routing.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Looks like they used wire that isn't braided. That is unusual for a high end sub. The thickness looks good but the quality of the wire did not. Generally braided type wire is used so it doesn't shear off over repeated back and forth movement which any sub is going to do.
I actually like that sub pretty well but have never really taken a good look inside it.
I really like the sub as well, aside from this problem. It moves ALOT of air for it's size.

Originally Posted by VIP1
You definitely can shear braided wire. I've done it. Although typically when I've done it, it was with handling a circuit board and a wire broke off and I had to re-solder it.

The forces that a sub woofer administers can shear a braided wire at the solder point just like in the picture if the wire is flexing at the solder point. Those wires should not be flexing at the solder point. Its a bad design to allow that to happen because as the picture shows, it will shear. there should be another mechanical means to secure the wires so they don't flex there (either a clip above the solder point to secure the wire jacket to the frame or hot glue that covers the solder and wire jacket to hold it to the frame) and the wires should probably be a little longer / better routed. Most that I've seen typically go with longer wire and different routing.
If the new sub doesn't have the issue resolved or they want to take forever to repair it or shipping charges are ridiculous, I may just incorporate these re-designs, although I don't really want to. This is something that should of been done from the get go.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

You paid 350$ for that?!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Not trying to sound like a dick, but that's high! If you don't mind me asking where'd you get it?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
You paid 350$ for that?!
Originally Posted by Stocker94z
Not trying to sound like a dick, but that's high! If you don't mind me asking where'd you get it?
Of course it's high, I purchased through an "authorized dealer" Crutchfield, but this is why I paid more, 3 year covered warranty...