Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine 6.5"s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alpine 6.5"s?

Back in November I replaced my blown stock sail panel speakers with Alpine 6.5"s from Best Buy. I don't remember the exact specs on them all I know is they came as a set with tweeters. I know little to nothing about car audio so I don't know how good Alpine speakers really are; all I know is they weren't too expensive and they hit harder than the stock subs so I was entertained.. for a short while

I like to BLAST music every once and a while, and for some reason these just don't sound that great to me anymore for aftermarket speakers. The driver's side speaker has developed a rattle at lower volumes which is very annoying. I'm looking to get another set, but I want something that would be an upgrade to what I have now. I would also like to replace the door speakers/tweeters as well.. anyone have some suggestions for a really nice speaker setup? I'd like to keep everything plug and play. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't sound good anymore because they are not the right speaker for that location. The midbass Alpines are not subs and even for a midbass don't have the right frequency range for that. The other thing is that they are single voice coil so they are not optimal for the stock setup. By using one pair of the 2 pairs you have in the stock harness you can do what you did but for optimal sound from the stock system a dual voice coil sub is better overall.
There are several threads regarding this.
Best option for the stock system are the dual voice coil Bazooka subs. They are also not that expensive and are the correct replacement for the sail panels in Firebird Monsoon systems. I will also have another dual voice coil sub on the market in a couple of months for that application but currently you would do well with the Bazookas. They are more then capable of handling anything the stock system has to dish out and provide plenty of bass.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Listen to the man ^^^.

Tangent - its amazing how Alpine rose to prominence. They had some cool adds in the 80's with the Lamborghini Countach and they are still riding that wave.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

LOL...I still have that poster somewhere in a box. Red lambo...side view. Alpine logo.
Then there was the black lambo poster with the gold wheels...Lamborghini style, Alpine performance. There were a few other ones to.
I just realized I am showing my age a bit by even knowing that...
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
They don't sound good anymore because they are not the right speaker for that location. The midbass Alpines are not subs and even for a midbass don't have the right frequency range for that. The other thing is that they are single voice coil so they are not optimal for the stock setup. By using one pair of the 2 pairs you have in the stock harness you can do what you did but for optimal sound from the stock system a dual voice coil sub is better overall.
There are several threads regarding this.
Best option for the stock system are the dual voice coil Bazooka subs. They are also not that expensive and are the correct replacement for the sail panels in Firebird Monsoon systems. I will also have another dual voice coil sub on the market in a couple of months for that application but currently you would do well with the Bazookas. They are more then capable of handling anything the stock system has to dish out and provide plenty of bass.
Put me down for a set of the Bazookas then . Could I use the Alpines I have now for the door speakers?

Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
Put me down for a set of the Bazookas then . Could I use the Alpines I have now for the door speakers?

Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes you can use them for the doors. In fact that would be a decent set up. I have seen that combination used a few times with success. Plus it would give you the opportunity to use the tweeters that came with them to replace the factory units that are not very good. The Alpine tweeters would be much better.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes you can use them for the doors. In fact that would be a decent set up. I have seen that combination used a few times with success. Plus it would give you the opportunity to use the tweeters that came with them to replace the factory units that are not very good. The Alpine tweeters would be much better.
Sweet; at least I didn't waste the original $100 or so then. I sent you a PM about the Bazookas.

I popped off the speaker cover the door speakers.. what's the best way to get them out of there? It doesn't look like I could fit a wrench in there for the top bolts without taking the whole plastic assembly off. What's the procedure for this? Thank You!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Whoa!!! You cannot remove the door speakers through the grill. Stop what you are doing! Doing it that way can damage the door panel. Here is how you remove the door panel to access the speakers:
http://www.firebirdnation.com/pdf/doorpanel.pdf
Once your in there you are good to go.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Whoa!!! You cannot remove the door speakers through the grill. Stop what you are doing! Doing it that way can damage the door panel. Here is how you remove the door panel to access the speakers:
http://www.firebirdnation.com/pdf/doorpanel.pdf
Once your in there you are good to go.
Yea I figured as much. I didn't start wrenching anything, I just popped the grill off to see what it was looking like.

Placed the order for the Bazookas- I can't seem to find my tweeters though from the Alpine setup. I want to stay all Alpine in the front with the tweeters, and ideas on the specs I should be using for tweeters or are they all the same?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

LOL...I still have that poster somewhere in a box. Red lambo...side view. Alpine logo.
Then there was the black lambo poster with the gold wheels...Lamborghini style, Alpine performance. There were a few other ones to.
I just realized I am showing my age a bit by even knowing that...
Oh, memories... If you ever dig them up, it would be great if you could post pics! Nevermind there are folks with drivers licenses now who were born after those posers were printed. They will never know the feeling of the gut wrenching performance of a post embargo sedan and longing for an Italian sports car.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I are having huge problems with the door speakers in my 02 Firebird. We tried replacing them with Pioneers, those sound like crap. Tried JBL, those sound terrible also. My dad's getting frustrated, buying all these different setups and nothing works. Help, please? Where can we go from here?