Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro door speaker wiring (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Camaro door speaker wiring (pics)

I'm replacing my door speakers with polk db651's On the stock harness there are two black wires and two red wires. How do i wire them up? Yes im retarded.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, sail panel subs are being replaced with kicker CVT 6.5"s. Should i leave the smaller subs in the hatch or should i just use the wire from the hatch subs and give more power to the kickers? Thanks guys
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also going to be doing this...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
I'm replacing my door speakers with polk db651's On the stock harness there are two black wires and two red wires. How do i wire them up? Yes im retarded.
Originally Posted by MTBSully
also, sail panel subs are being replaced with kicker CVT 6.5"s. Should i leave the smaller subs in the hatch or should i just use the wire from the hatch subs and give more power to the kickers? Thanks guys
Put down the wire cutters and step away from the car.

The reason you have extra wires in the doors is because you are replacing factory components (separate woofer and tweeter) with a coaxial speaker (integrated woofer and tweeter). You can modify the coaxial speakers to work like components or you can give up half the power and just connect the pair of wires that originally went to the woofer (the tweeter wires have filtered high frequency signal only).

The hatch speakers are not subs and no, you can't add the wiring from one set of speakers to another to increase the power. Either leave the hatch speakers alone or remove them and leave their wiring disconnected - it depends on your personal preference in sound. Many "audiophiles" will tell you that you should never have anything other than subs behind you but the popularity of surround sound indicates that lots of people like rear speakers. Go with whatever you feel sounds best.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Put down the wire cutters and step away from the car.

The reason you have extra wires in the doors is because you are replacing factory components (separate woofer and tweeter) with a coaxial speaker (integrated woofer and tweeter). You can modify the coaxial speakers to work like components or you can give up half the power and just connect the pair of wires that originally went to the woofer (the tweeter wires have filtered high frequency signal only).
So how would you do this?

Is there anyway to get full range from coaxial speakers while still using your factory amp?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clip the tweeter leads and wire them to tweeter side and woofer straight to woofer
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think that is possible. There are only two wires coming out of the speakers....

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to wire these speakers up and get full range from the factory amp or am I going to have to get an aftermarket amp?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See the black wires running up the back and into the magnet under the sticker... those are going to the tweeter. You cut them close to the terminal and wire those to the tweeter wires on the harness, then run the other pair to the regular pos an neg. That is how you get around that. Not a great thing to have to do by cutting wires on your brand new speakers to get them to work with your system but that is how you have to do it to make it work with the Monsoon amp.
You can completely leave the resister on the right out of the mix, the thing that says vent on it. That is the "bass blocker" for the tweeter. The Monsoon system does that already for the Camaro so it is unnecessary.
The Polk above is the same way. In this case it is the small red and black wires running up the back and under the sticker. It appears to also have a resistor for the midrange portion as well that would probably block certain bass frequencies that the are too low for that speakers midrange portion.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^thats how i did it last week and it sounds good. Thanks guys
Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memphis MC62 speakers and dont use the crossovers, just wire them to the two sets of terminals on the back and your set to go.

Quick Reply: Camaro door speaker wiring (pics)