Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lighting Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Wiring question

So a whlie back I had a problem with my drivers side parking lamps. Since then I have taken it down to the wires to examine it and here is what I am left with connected (Spliced by the former owner) to the Drivers side parking/turn lamp.

A Brown, Black, and Lightblue/White wire assembly.

Now I am going through my wiring diagram/schematic and according to the Diagram there should be a light blue wire going to it and not the light blue/white.

I think this may be the cause of my problems but now I don't know where to track the wire that should be there down.

Currently everything is working as it should except the drivers side DRL. It does not come on however the flashers work as they should.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Also another side note is that there are two plug harnesses not plugged into anything just sitting inside the same small compartment in the parking lamp area. One has a black, pink, and some other color wire setup while the other plug is a red and black wire setup.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is not the wrong wire - if it was then your turn signals wouldn't work. The three wires at the front lamp sockets are ground (black), parking light power (brown), and turn signal/DRL power (blue... light or dark depending on left or right side). The DRLs and turn signals both use the bright filament of the 3457 bulb and share the same power wire.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Teching In

If the lamp assembly hasnt been replaced most likely the leak in the lights is causing corrosion on the socket, which is probably why the last guy crimped in a new one.

if it looks corroded at all i would replace the socket, and if you can get a new lamp assembly. if not, drill a hole in the bottom so the wire has someplace to go other than sit in the socket.

Im in your area so you and i both know what the humidity is like here, that also probably doesnt help. if you like i can show you a site that sells the new socket wiring for $3.49 instead of $20 or even $40 elsewhere
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is not the wrong wire - if it was then your turn signals wouldn't work. The three wires at the front lamp sockets are ground (black), parking light power (brown), and turn signal/DRL power (blue... light or dark depending on left or right side). The DRLs and turn signals both use the bright filament of the 3457 bulb and share the same power wire.
In that case it must be the DRL module. Are they seperate for driver and passenger? Any idea of the location. I'm looking at the wiring diagram and its a nice layout however not accurate as far as location.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garbs98ta
If the lamp assembly hasnt been replaced most likely the leak in the lights is causing corrosion on the socket, which is probably why the last guy crimped in a new one.

if it looks corroded at all i would replace the socket, and if you can get a new lamp assembly. if not, drill a hole in the bottom so the wire has someplace to go other than sit in the socket.

Im in your area so you and i both know what the humidity is like here, that also probably doesnt help. if you like i can show you a site that sells the new socket wiring for $3.49 instead of $20 or even $40 elsewhere
Yeah that was the first thing I did. Bought new housings from GMwarehouse and sockets from autozone.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The DRL module is attached to the defroster duct behind the radio - there is only one. The input from the turn signal switch is on the blue with white wires (light blue for left side, dark blue for right side) and the output to the lamps is on the plain blue wires (again light and dark corresponding to the input wires).

Use a multimeter or test light to check for power on the light blue wire at the DRL module when the ignition is on and the turn signals are off. That will tell you if the problem is with the module or someplace in the wiring, sockets, or bulbs.