Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

WTF is up with my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is up with my speakers

I bought some MB Quartz component speakers for my doors on my T/A. I hooked them up using the factory amp. Just swapped old factory speakers for the new ones. They sounded great and I really liked them. However, a few months ago the drivers side tweeter went out. Then the drivers side 6.5" speaker is really quiet. Still working, but kinda muffled. So I pulled the door panel off to check everything out. Connections were good so I just said screw it the passenger side still worked great at the time. I could live without a tweeter. Well now the passenger side is still kinda loud, but its sounds kinda like the bass is on +99 or something. The mid is really crappy, distorted, almost like its echoing. I am not sure if its my factory amps fault or if all the speakers shitted out on me. Which seems unlikely. I am thinking about buying new speakers and running them through the deck with the supplied speaker crossovers. What do you pros think?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

amp kicked the bucket. Possible that you killed it with lower than stock ohm speakers? but yea, that quiet muffled etc output is what happens when parts of the amp have busted but it's not totally fried yet.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I will check the speakers through the HU to see if all the speakers are screwed. Sounds like they are toasted. 4 ohm speakers and I believe the factory Monsoon is a 2ohm amp.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amp is fine. Those speakers are not lower then stock impedance (ohms). Not unless you have 1 ohm speakers...which is not the case because no one makes full range speakers that are 1ohm.
The problem is MB Quart is not really MB Quart anymore and haven't been for awhile now. They are owned by Maxxsonics and are not what they used to be when they were made in Germany and made the name. They are all made by the same company now Crunch, Hifonics, Autotek and MB Quart. That's why you blew up your MB Quart speakers.
What model were they?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking they were DSH-216's. I think that the discus line, but I am not 100% sure.
I sent them an email about a week ago, but no response.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

They get good reviews but again, they are not made in Germany like the old ones were. They used to be pricey and now you can get there Premium line of speakers for about $120.00. That should tell you something right there.
They are also 50watts RMS so they are right at the threshold of the stock system as it does put out about 40-50watts RMS per side in the front. If you hit them pretty hard you could have blown one.
Also, did you use the crossover or just stick strictly to the stock wiring and skip the crossovers? Skipping them would have been correct and using the stock harness for the tweeters with the stock crossover intact.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Not all the speakers are 2ohm on a monsoon system. The rear 4"'ers are 4ohm. But either way, blowing out a channel in the amp is not something only low resistance can do. Maybe after 10 years it just couldn't take the high volume the new speakers were being played at. Either way, I've heard exactly what the op described and it was a bad amp channel. Speakers were fine.

Easy way to check is to swap speakers. It's free and will tell you right away what's up.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
They get good reviews but again, they are not made in Germany like the old ones were. They used to be pricey and now you can get there Premium line of speakers for about $120.00. That should tell you something right there.
They are also 50watts RMS so they are right at the threshold of the stock system as it does put out about 40-50watts RMS per side in the front. If you hit them pretty hard you could have blown one.
Also, did you use the crossover or just stick strictly to the stock wiring and skip the crossovers? Skipping them would have been correct and using the stock harness for the tweeters with the stock crossover intact.
I did not use the MB Quartz crossovers. I simply switched the OEM speakers for the MB Quartz. Wired everything up like the factory.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I did not use the MB Quartz crossovers. I simply switched the OEM speakers for the MB Quartz. Wired everything up like the factory.
That was the right way to do it with this system. As stated above it might be a good idea to switch them out to test for a bad channel but the Monsoon amp is actually pretty reliable most of the time.
Another possibility is that the stock crossover has burnt up. That is the foam covered thing inline with the tweeter that has the connector on the end. Those do go out, I had one go bad and it made the tweeter sound horrible. I just used crossover after (for awhile anyway) that by running the signal from the tweeter connector into the crossover minus the stock inline filter and then out to the tweeter and it worked fine. I thought it was the tweeter at first but it was the stock filter.
Time to start testing stuff.
Good luck!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ditched the monsoon amp. I wired everything on the passenger side to the HU with the MB Quartz supplied crossover and it sounds fine now. Now I have to find a replacement tweeter for the drivers side and do it. Luckily my speakers are still usable.