Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Advice from a Sound System MacGyver

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need Advice from a Sound System MacGyver

Ok here is the scenario. I have a bone stock 1999 Trans Am that I just bought and I already blew up the stock subs in the sail panels. I have some brand new and some used items that I would like to incorporate into the stock system to enhance it. The goal is to maintain the stock head unit for now. The 2 10' Kickers are from my childhood those speakers came out of my wife's 89 RS back in 1992 when we were seniors in high school. I have saved them for all of these years and finally have a use for them. I already ran a power cable from the battery to the rear of the car. I was thinking about using the 4 channel amp for the subs by bridging it. Any suggestions would be appreciated on how I should proceed with this on a budget. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

1) What gauge wire did you use for the power line from the battery?
2) What's going to drive the two 10s? Certainly not that 350w 4 channel amp?
3) Wouldn't the surrounds on the two 10s be dry-rotted by now?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
1) What gauge wire did you use for the power line from the battery?
2) What's going to drive the two 10s? Certainly not that 350w 4 channel amp?
3) Wouldn't the surrounds on the two 10s be dry-rotted by now?
I posted photos so you could see what I am using including the wire. The subs are not dry rotted and are still in decent shape. I know the amp is not the best choice for the subs but I am on a budget and will buy more stuff as I go...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Teching In

I will probably buy a separate amp for the subs. Should I buy a mono amp or a 2 channel? Also I know I will need an adapter to go from high level to RCA but should I tap the wires from the deck or from the amp? I assume from the deck but I want to be sure. I am looking at the speaker package from Kee and thought I could maybe use the 4 channel kicker amp for the front and rear speakers. I will probably eliminate the sail panel speakers and just use the 10" subs in the back. Also is it OK to use the ground from the power antenna? Any help is appreciated.