Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

reverse light wire for rear view camera...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation reverse light wire for rear view camera...

So I'm looking at the instructions for installing a rear view camera to my Pioneer headunit. Everything seems pretty straight forward, attach ground, attach 12v power, attach RCA cable from camera to back of head unit....but I don't know where to tap for the REVERSE LIGHT.

There is a violet/white wire on my headunit's wiring harness. This wire is supposed to splice into the reverse light. This way whenever the car is in reverse gear, the head unit will automatically display the rear view camera.

Obviously this violet/white wire is not long enough to go from my headunit all the way back to the reverse light, so there is probably a wire somewhere behind the dash to tap into. How can I identify this wire and where is it??

I have attached the page from the instruction manual for clarification. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails reverse light wire for rear view camera...-cam.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes it easier to just run a wire to reverse lights
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any luck TruBlood???

I plan on putting a back u camera too on my car through the Pioneer AVH-p4300dvd but im clueless as how to or if i even can being as my cars a M6.

Also which camera did you wind up going with?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The easiest way is to run the wire back to the backup lights. The light green wire that feeds the backup lights comes from the park/neutral switch on an automatic or the backup lamp switch on a stick. Both are switches mounted to the transmission under the car so they aren't convenient places to connect wiring.

Another option is to use your own switch connected to any 12V power source. You would have to switch it manually when backing up but it gives you the option to turn on the camera at any time - even when not in reverse.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The easiest way is to run the wire back to the backup lights. The light green wire that feeds the backup lights comes from the park/neutral switch on an automatic or the backup lamp switch on a stick. Both are switches mounted to the transmission under the car so they aren't convenient places to connect wiring.
My car is an A4. So I guess I should look for a light green wire on the pigtail of my reverse lamp to splice into.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Any luck TruBlood???

I plan on putting a back u camera too on my car through the Pioneer AVH-p4300dvd but im clueless as how to or if i even can being as my cars a M6.

Also which camera did you wind up going with?
Haven't ordered the camera yet but I think I'll probably go with either the ND-BC4 or ND-BC20PA, both are made by Pioneer.

I've been researching all this stuff to see how much effort it would take. It seems like a CCD lens is far superior to a CMOS lens (most cheap eBay cameras).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reverse light wire for rear view camera...