Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tired of your doors rattling from the bass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tired of your doors rattling from the bass?

maybe my car is just odd, but i've owned 2 f-bodies now (both camaros) and they've all had this damn problem. when certain bass notes hit, the doors sound like they are going to fall apart. actually, the speakers sound blown. the driver's side is always worse than the passenger side. but when i push down the speaker cover/grill on the front of the door - problem solved, or close to it (depending on the bass or volume). so i finally figured out the solution:

the idea seems elementary, if not retarted. basically, you are going to glue your speaker grill to your door cover. but the first step includes isolating each speaker to play by itself (and preferably with a song that has rattle-tattle bass to it). once you've done that, start at a corner of the speaker grill, and press down gently/firmly/hard until the rattle stops. if it doesn't stop, move to the next corner. keep going until you find the corner with all of your problems. hopefully, the problem will be in one of the bottom corners. the reason being is that you take some super glue and fill the space between the door and the grill. this seals up that space, and thus, that annoying rattle will be greatly dimished. if the top, visible portion of the speaker grill is the source of the rattles, then be careful about your application of the glue. the more you put, the more obviously seen it will be.

i did this on my last camaro after i changed a speaker i thought was busted. when i put a new speaker in it, somehow, that speaker was busted too! but it really wasn't at all, and instead, the door was rattling like crazy; rather, the grill was rattling ME crazy. this fixed the problem. like i said, i've had both of my camaros have this same problem. it's awful and annoying, and this will fix it for the most. there are other rattles in these cars also caused by stereo (these rattles blend in well with the other 32094832098 noises that f-bodies somehow seem to make) that will not be solved with a simple super-glue solution. however, i've found that the majority of my bass rattles come from the front door speaker grills. good luck. hope this helps many of you
Old 02-28-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR you could use like 10bucks in dynamat like i did :p
Old 02-29-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this problem, I used black weatherstrip cement
daubed in with a toothpick (since I couldn't get the
grille off; it seemed ready to break). This has held up
well for a couple of years now.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used little strips of foam tape. rattle free
Old 02-29-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to Dynamat my 6.5" Fosgate subs, they rattled everything...

Quick Reply: tired of your doors rattling from the bass?