Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring problem, rear speaker, 98 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem, rear speaker, 98 t/a

Ok, so i want to replace the back-seat speakers, the 6.5's. And I'm usually good with wiring, but these speakers have 4 wires going to them, usually i only see 2 wires going to speakers. My new alpines only have 2 wires going to them, so my question is, which wires do you hook up, or wire up all 4 to it?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the wrong speaker for that location. The rear sails are 6.5" subwoofers that are dual voice coil, hence the 4 wires or 2 pairs, one pair for each coil.
Your Alpines are single voice coil which means you will only be able to use 1 coil or 1 pair of the 2 wires resulting in a -2db loss in output...not a huge loss. The only problem is that the Alpines are not capable of sub bass frequencies.
I am assuming also that these are not coaxials and are some kind of a component set. Coaxials (tweeter mounted in the center) will really not work in that location as the sail panels are strictly bass only from that location dictated by the Monsoon amp that powers everything.