Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power antenna...now on a switch!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation power antenna...now on a switch!!!

Some of you may remember my thread last month asking why my antenna stays up even though I'm not listening to the radio.

I had some free time this evening so I figured I would put a on/off switch on my power antenna.

Supplies:

On/Off switch with extension wires for antenna wire

Extension wires attached to spliced antenna wire

I was looking for a place to mount the switch and I saw this empty box attached to the corner of my foot well. Anyone know what it's for?

There was a hole in the back of the box so I routed the wires behind it and out the front to attach the switch.

Here is the finished install. I was able to securely flasten the switch to the opening with the bolt it came with. It was kind of tricky twisting the bolt from inside the box with my fingers, but it worked out well. In case anyone is wondering, the 3 way toggle switch in the picture is for my Pioneer head unit, it's for the video bypass (essentially a fake e-brake).
Attached Thumbnails power antenna...now on a switch!!!-1.jpg   power antenna...now on a switch!!!-2.jpg   power antenna...now on a switch!!!-3.jpg   power antenna...now on a switch!!!-4.jpg   power antenna...now on a switch!!!-5.jpg  

power antenna...now on a switch!!!-6.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

wow........all those crimp connectors..........ever thought about posi-locks? good info here !
Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
wow........all those crimp connectors..........ever thought about posi-locks? good info here !
I had a box of those quick splices but they weren't working. I hooked everything up and half my stuff wasn't working. I checked the quick splices and the blade wasn't even cutting the wire. I got pissed and took all of them off and just used the couplers instead.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Looks good - I'm pretty sure that box is for the HVAC.

Secondly, instead of using the toggle switch, you can get a relay, hook it up and be done with it. Google "pioneer video bypass relay". The link to 8thcivic has a very easy diagram to help.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i HATE that antenna! it suddenly decided to die but the motor still works. i simply unplugged it lol but i like the button idea. nice write up.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice write up, I did something similar to this a year ago or so, helps keep the lines of the car clean when the radio isn't the source and the HU doesn't have an antenna on wire.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

for your video bypass, if its a pink wire for the brake why did you put it on a switch instead of just splicing it to your ground wire?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chmilll
for your video bypass, if its a pink wire for the brake why did you put it on a switch instead of just splicing it to your ground wire?
Yes it is the pink wire, it's to much trouble for me to get to it, so it's left untouched.

The method you mentioned above, of grounding the parking brake, usually works on cheaper head units and/or older models.

The Pioneer head units have to see ground and a switched 12 volt source. This way the head unit knows/thinks that the parking brake sequence was engaged. I wish it was as simple as permanently grounding the parking brake...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Yes it is the pink wire, it's to much trouble for me to get to it, so it's left untouched.

The method you mentioned above, of grounding the parking brake, usually works on cheaper head units and/or older models.

The Pioneer head units have to see ground and a switched 12 volt source. This way the head unit knows/thinks that the parking brake sequence was engaged. I wish it was as simple as permanently grounding the parking brake...
not as simple as grounding one wire, but bypass is still simple on pioneers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power antenna...now on a switch!!!