Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing steering wheel?

Hey guys, I was wondering if any one has replaced the factory steering wheel and if so with what? I think its just for large and would like something a little more sporty. Does anyone know if you can use a C6 vette wheel, or GTO or maybe even CTS-V wheel? I don't care if I have the radio controls. Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The problem is not the steering wheel, but the airbag.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure I saw 6litereater post somewhere on the site about working on a kit to make the C6 wheels work with our fbodies.

For me, I just pulled the stock wheel, and threw on my grant wheel. I still need to paint the center piece of the wheel though. It's silver which was the least riciest of the choices I had at the time.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Oh ok, I'll see if I can find this post about making a kit to work with the C6. I personally don't care if the airbag is there or not but i guess you dont have a ton of options
Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't care about the bag myself. Had a pretty bad accident with the same wheel actually and came out fine. Probably just luck though so I can't say for sure. They did say it would have been worse if the bag had deployed though.

Pull out the bulb for the airbag light, or throw a resistor in to the harness to turn off the light that way.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Ya, I've actually heard the air bag can cause more damage becuase of the speed it opens at, people very easily get broken facial bones, I'll try and contact 6LE and see what they have to say, thanks for the idea of removing the air bag fuse, thats easy enough
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Actually we're working on making the new ZL1 style fit...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

ohh awesome with the suede, the D shape and a pontiac emblem!! That would be awesome looking, can't wait to see some photos of it
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

So why can't you hook the airbags up on say a C5 or C6 steering wheel? Isn't the wiring for them all essentially the same? Maybe just swap the connectors if they are different?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
so are you gonna sell the wheel with it for without? i found a wheel i want from grant for the camaros that looks badass so if it was just a kit, it would be perfect!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tbrenny32
Ya, I've actually heard the air bag can cause more damage becuase of the speed it opens at, people very easily get broken facial bones
An airbag has saved my life...
twice.

It did burn the inside of my arms, though.

If you daily drive, you might want to keep it.
Insurance companies might give you a bad time about paying out if you ARE hurt.

Not trying to be Sammy Safety here, but really, worse things can happen to your face without it.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Not a daily driver, just weekends and nice summer days, so if loosing the airbag was the case not a big deal, I'm not out street racing the vehicle against everyone I can find. Like one of the earlier post said I would think it would just be rewiring the harness from the new C6 wheel to the original harness, but I obviously don't know that for sure.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Save the manuals!

- You can't just splice in airbags from different cars. Airbags have evolved over time, are parts of different "generations," (with different powers, levels, and electronic characteristics), and are shaped differently for different cockpits. I'm sure there are cross references that could be made but doubt that the auto makers would ever support such an effort with the needed engineering. I would also expect that the liability of such a thing would be to the point that it would keep aftermarket companies out.

- I am also looking to mod my steering wheel in the future but plan to take a stock one apart, keep the center section, change the outer wheel, and then put it all back together. There are companies out there that do this for hot rod cars and guess its the same method Grant uses for their new airbag line: http://www.grantproducts.com/product...bag-solutions/

- For folks worried about airbag crash costs -> you are either in one of two categories: Insured and uninsured.

If you are insured, your costs for repairing airbag damage are LOWER!!! Yes, airbags that go off do more damage to the physical car. But taken as a whole, the costs to insurance companies for people getting hurt in crashes far outweigh the cost of airbag damage to the car. In the end, as an insurance consumer, you see the result of this in your insurance premiums - which is where you pay the expense for any crash you might get in to. If you want to see how much, call your insurance company and ask them what your premium will be if you remove the airbags! (Then add up your premiums over the life of the car and see where it puts you.)

If you are not insured, please do everyone a favor and stop driving on all public roads.

- For folks who remove the airbag, you might want to consider some other stuff:

If you haven't informed your insurance company, you could be putting yourself in a bad spot. If you get in a wreck and they find that your airbag was removed they may not have to pay your claim. Likewise, if someone other than the owner gets hurt, the insurance company may not honor your liability coverage. (Even if that person had an airbag on their side.)

Airbags and seat belts on modern cars are designed to work together as a pair. When you remove one, the other may not work as designed. So, if you do remove the airbag, you are best to install a seat belt system (like a 5 or 6 point harness) that is designed to work without an airbag. These seat belts are pretty good but may not be as effective as an airbag in normal driving. In a racing scenario, they are superior because an airbag is a one-shot deal and a harness protects you from multiple collisions.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Hmm, good idea but I dislike the entire steering wheel! I dont like that big sticking out air bag look. I like the look of the newer C6, GTO, and G8 steering wheels and if to get one like that means no air bag, I'll risk it, I don't even drive 2,000 miles a year in the car! Does Grant make steering wheel replacements with airbags for F-bodies? I didn't see any on the website
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Hmm, good idea but I dislike the entire steering wheel! I dont like that big sticking out air bag look. I like the look of the newer C6, GTO, and G8 steering wheels and if to get one like that means no air bag, I'll risk it, I don't even drive 2,000 miles a year in the car! Does Grant make steering wheel replacements with airbags for F-bodies? I didn't see any on the website
Hardly any one makes any direct-fit accessories for F-Bodies any more. Maybe you could call Grant and see if they would do a custom one-off for you?

Your logic may be a bit off because your air bag is most important within 5 miles of your home. (Where most accidents happen.) If a car is driven 1000 miles or 100,000 miles, the odds of getting in an accident are the same every time you turn the key.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Lets run with scissors, hit some class 5 rapids without a life vest and screw some hookers without a condom.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

please make something else work , i hate the wheel in my 99 formy. Im just worried the wheels are going to cost 800 bucks . Id like to see something that costs in the 2-300 range .
Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Yes play the odds card!! Really!! And how would that be true! You still have odds of getting in an accident when your not within 5 miles of your house! So if your driving more miles specially 100,000 vs 1000 your odds are much higher of getting in an accident, cuz you start the car that many more times! Plus if its the car you care about I think your prone to drive more caustiously and pay more attention to the road. At least that's true for me i've never been in an accident.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Yes play the odds card!! Really!! And how would that be true! You still have odds of getting in an accident when your not within 5 miles of your house! So if your driving more miles specially 100,000 vs 1000 your odds are much higher of getting in an accident, cuz you start the car that many more times! Plus if its the car you care about I think your prone to drive more caustiously and pay more attention to the road. At least that's true for me i've never been in an accident.
Assuming one is a perfect driver, the probability of getting in to an accident has noting to do with the perfect driver or how many miles that perfect driver drives their perfect car. Its all about the other people/crack heads on the road and what they feel like doing on a given day.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
- You can't just splice in airbags from different cars. Airbags have evolved over time, are parts of different "generations," (with different powers, levels, and electronic characteristics), and are shaped differently for different cockpits. I'm sure there are cross references that could be made but doubt that the auto makers would ever support such an effort with the needed engineering. I would also expect that the liability of such a thing would be to the point that it would

If you are insured, your costs for repairing airbag damage are LOWER!!! Yes, airbags that go off do more damage to the physical car. But taken as a whole, the costs to insurance companies for people getting hurt in crashes far outweigh the cost of airbag damage to the car. In the end, as an insurance consumer, you see the result of this in your insurance premiums - which is where you pay the expense for any crash you might get in to. If you want to see how much, call your insurance company and ask them what your premium will be if you remove the airbags! (Then add up your premiums over the life of the car and see where it puts you.)

If you are not insured, please do everyone a favor and stop driving on all public roads.

- For folks who remove the airbag, you might want to consider some other stuff:

Airbags and seat belts on modern cars are designed to work together as a pair. When you remove one, the other may not work as designed. So, if you do remove the airbag, you are best to install a seat belt system (like a 5 or 6 point harness) that is designed to work without an airbag. These seat belts are pretty good but may not be as effective as an airbag in normal driving. In a racing scenario, they are superior because an airbag is a one-shot deal and a harness protects you from multiple collisions.

^^TRUE SO TRUE

Quick Reply: Replacing steering wheel?