Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

speaker? figuring out what is going on

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker? figuring out what is going on

ok so in my car 98 camaro was monsoon unit, I don't see any amp in the back. I changed the radio out from the stock head unit. The door speakers and sail panel are 6.5" memphis 15pr620s and the trunk ones are 4" 15pr42s.

I didn't have the speakers put in they were in the car when I got it.

My ? is should I replace the sail panel speakers with sub speakers? I really don't know how the car is wired up will that make any difference since I have a different radio as well?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

IMO i would NOT put the small subs in the sail panel unless you are not worried about the sound imaging. Basically from my experience in my 00 TA i tried a similair setup and could not hear anything other than lows from behind my seat. the small subs do sound really good but you will have to wire them to an amp the head unit is not designed to run a sub on car wiring. if you go with them get a good set of components for the front doors and a small 4channel amp thats bridgeable.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

ok I looked again and I do have the factory amp still installed I all ready have those same Memphis speakers in the doors as well. I just figured I would try and balance out the sound a little bit.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have the factory Monsoon system and the speakers are still wired to the amp then the sail panel speakers should be 6.5" subs and any full range speaker will sound like crap if used there because the amp has a built-in low-pass filter for those channels (that's why chmilll only got lows from behind - it's designed that way).

There's lots more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

they have those Memphis speakers i listed in my first post(they are not subs) in the front and sail panels and the 4" Memphis ones in the back, that's what i am saying is i don't know how its wired up.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's easy enough to figure out... unplug the factory amp and see which speakers (if any) still work. Camaro Monsoon systems powered all eight speakers through the amp so if any still work with the amp unplugged they must have been rewired.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

ah cool thanks I don't think logically sometimes. but I think im down to 6, Im pretty sure it was just one hook up in the door speakers last time I looked, when I had to change out the window motor.