Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High pitch shrill coming from speakers...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch shrill coming from speakers...HELP!!!

Help anyone...... I have a high pitched shrill sound coming from my speakers, & this is when the engine is off, but don't worry, it's still there when the engine is on too!

Here is what I did... all new head unit, 6 speakers( all 2-way), 1 sub, 2 amps & a 1F cap( the only used item). I am using solely the pre-amps out, & speaker connections from the head units' harness are taped off. I ran all audio cables down my driver side, & the power over on passenger. Any crossover of audio wires & any power cables, both existing factory & the new power leads for the amps & cap, have been foil taped to hopefully prevent any electro-interference. I even sanded the paint off where I grounded the cap & 2 amps.

My problem is coming from the door & rear seat speakers. The amp I had those running off of, I swapped with another to eliminate the amp as being the issue. I have crossed over my pre-amp inputs between the 2 amps to eliminate those as the issue. With the amp hooked up still, disconnected the speaker leads off the amp, almost seems like it is coming from one line, but all make the sound when connected. Here is the strange part.... as I'm checking each speaker lead(which leads me to 1), I cross the speaker leads on one speaker,+ / - - / +, the amp shuts off, but does not do the same to the other 3. Now, before I start to rip anything else apart, hoping someone might have an idea as to why..... I'm sure I left something of explanation out of the scenario here, but any suggestions...? Bad speaker?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

TTT...
Any ideas out there? I have checked my speaker, & know it is not that, & all my grounds are good.....?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try taking the cap out of the loop. See if that is causing an issue. I know it is an unlikely candidate but it seems you covered alot of other things.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

List your exact equipment. If you have a Pioneer head unit, I hope that nobody has connected, disconnected or otherwise shorted the preamp outputs from it with power on. If that happened, you blew a picofuse in the head unit and it will need to be repaired.

Your first troubleshooting step shall be to disconnect your head unit from the amp (again, do this with the power off, and either keep the head unit power off or at least make DAMN SURE those wires do not short out on anything - including each other) and hook up a CD/MP3 player or phone or whatever right to the amp using a 1/8" to 2xRCA cable or whatever you need to do. See if that gets rid of the whine. If so, your head unit or RCAs are at fault or you have a ground loop. If not, you have a bad amp or bad amp wiring or something contaminating your electrical system with a lot of noise that your amp can't filter out.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Thank you Ian & dragonrage... I know this is an OLD post, but I finally had a break over the holiday weekend to finally mess with this.. It was my RCA's, but I tried all the other steps you guys referenced prior before buying additional stuff. Now, the fun begins to rip out seats & interior to pull the wiring back out & re-lace the cables....fun fun fun..

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: High pitch shrill coming from speakers...HELP!!!