Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp will not turn off

Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp will not turn off

I have searched for around 45 minutes now and I cant find my answer so my apologies because I am sure this has been answered before.

I believe that my monsoon amp is not turning off properly and is staying on because when it is plugged in my car battery will be dead in the morning. If I unplug the wiring harness from the amp itself the battery keeps its charge and everything is fine. Any suggestions of what could be causing this?

I understand that the amp is supposed to "turn on" when it gets a signal from the radio and that there is no remote turn on wire for the monsoon amp. Is it safe to assume that the amp has just gone bad after all these years?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the ground lug just in front of the spare tire, I think it's the same one the Monsoon amp uses. If the amp isn't getting a good ground it could screw up the voltage the level it uses as a reference against the threshold voltage it needs to stay on turn off.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Teching In

The 2 grounds run back to the front of the car but I will ground them in the rear as well to be sure the system is getting a good ground.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

I tried that and it did not work. Any one have any other ideas?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$25-$35 on fleabay... I'd try swapping it out before I put much effort into anything else. If it's a PCB (printed circuit board) level component issue, you're gonna be better off just replacing the whole thing unless you can see something obvious (burned, broken). Have any friends with an f-body you can swap amps with for a few minutes??
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

My neighbor on the left has a ws6 and the one across the street has a z28. I will try that.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a Camaro, right??

The cables are slightly different between the pontiac and chevy, use the chevy one if you can (assuming you have a chevy). I believe the pontiac amp treats the crossover differently with the component tweeters, too.

One last work-around to consider... if you have an aftermarket HU with a "remote control" activation wire, you could insert a relay on the orange amp power wires and force the monsoon amp to shut off and turn on with the HU. Not really fixing the amp, but bypassing the problem.

If you do have an aftermarket HU and want to try the relay solution, let me know and I can help you pick a relay that would work. It should be fairly easy to wire up.

Last edited by Capricio; 07-18-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp will not turn off