Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I did something really stupid...need your advice. (Mons0on Door Speaker)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I did something really stupid...need your advice. (Mons0on Door Speaker)

Okay My brother got me some JL 6.5inch 2 way speakers for the Front doors of my '02 Camaro. The passenger side was vibrating like crazy, and only that side. So I assume its not the stock Monsoon amp that is at fault(at least I did at the time.) Then I read you need to cut wires on your new speakers to make them fit, I was semi OKAY with that, I decided to use the stock speaker harness which was also okay.
Well stupid me looked at the speaker saw wires that looked like they went to the tweeter and cut them OOPS! Those were for the woofer, I didn't realize that the wires going to the magnet were for the tweeter. Its not like I can rewire the woofer's wires because there is not much to play with, so I put butt connectors on them. The speaker works but instead of a more deep vibration its a higher pitched one, so now I don't know if its my mistake or the amp.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does the door have a tweet seperate from the woofer like the TA's do?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chaos07
does the door have a tweet seperate from the woofer like the TA's do?
After researching it seems that firebirds and camaro's are different. The camaro has a system that works like this: The tweeter and the woofer are one piece, but wires from the Head Unit control the tweeters, and the wires from the amp run the woofer...that is why I had to cut wires, but I cut the wrong ones, even though I have it working now it still sounds blown but I don't know if its because of the butt connectors I have on the woofer wires or if its the amp. The bad crackling sound goes away when you hold the woofer...don't know if that helps the diagnosis.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Camaro Monsoon speakers in the doors have seperate connections for the mid and the tweet.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1121
The Camaro Monsoon speakers in the doors have seperate connections for the mid and the tweet.
That is why I cut the wires on the JL and possibly caused a problem, but it could be the amp, not sure...ideas?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The object of modifying a coaxial speaker is to separate the tweeter and woofer to act as components. Cutting the tweeter wires is suggested because those wires are usually the easiest to work with but it really doesn't matter as long as you end up with separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter.

Since you've cut the woofer connections, just connect the factory mid's wiring pair to your cut wires and the tweeter pair to the speaker terminals that are now connected only to the tweeters. Make sure you don't get the pairs of wires reversed or it will sound terrible.

BTW, all speakers in Camaros are powered by the amp - it's only in Firebirds that the tweeters are powered by the head unit.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The object of modifying a coaxial speaker is to separate the tweeter and woofer to act as components. Cutting the tweeter wires is suggested because those wires are usually the easiest to work with but it really doesn't matter as long as you end up with separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter.

Since you've cut the woofer connections, just connect the factory mid's wiring pair to your cut wires and the tweeter pair to the speaker terminals that are now connected only to the tweeters. Make sure you don't get the pairs of wires reversed or it will sound terrible.

BTW, all speakers in Camaros are powered by the amp - it's only in Firebirds that the tweeters are powered by the head unit.
Okay so now I did that, and that speaker is buzzing like the original, you think its the amp? The buzzing sounds a little different though than the stock one.