Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door speaker issue

Sometimes the passenger door speaker will work and sometimes it wont. I just recently replaced it with an OEM replacement because I believe the previous one wasn't working either.

It worked fine for the first day and then it will work sometimes and not others. What could the culprit be?

If the speaker is dead already then I am going to have to stick with it for now and possibly get a Kee Audio replacement setup in the future because I'm sick of blowing speakers. Its happened to me twice with the sail panel ones in the backseat.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Teching In

The door might be pinching the wire. Or a connection is loose
Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so it seems to be completely dead. I got an OEM replacement from a user on here and it died within 1 day. Is there any reason why my driver door speaker is still working fine (original one) and the passenger speaker blew in 1 day?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Maybe a short. Just wire the speaker through the door boot then straight to the head Unit with speaker wire.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, sounds like either a bad connection or a short to me. Running new wire to it is a good idea.

I WOULD say that you may be getting some DC current on that channel due to a failed head unit or amplifier, so that would make a speaker blow much easier. It would not make a speaker cut in and out, though, so that's probably not the issue. There could, however, be a bad solder joint in the head unit or amp. Try the rewiring and see what that does.